Ultrasonic Parts Washer?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

freemyheel
Shop Owner

by freemyheel

Hey guys, I'm considering getting an ultrasonic parts washer for use in my LBS. I'm curious what experience you have had, what models/brands you've used, etc.
Also, if you've been using them, what solvent do you use, and at what dilution? I'm thinking simple green, diluted 2:1 with water.
Thanks in advance!
K.P.A.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattyNor

by mattyNor

If find I can do just as good a job in less time using a normal washer. Maybe get a small one for chains and do the rest by hand.

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

by ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

Ultrasonic is excellent.
Have used a few brands (can't remember names) - my preference was for one that had 2 smaller tanks, it was a little tricky to fit an entire crankset in, but having 2 tanks allows for one cleaning and one lubricating tank.. that's pretty cool.

Don't use simple green. While that's great in a traditional cleaner, you want to use a soap that's designed specifically for Ultrasonic cleaning and also to be effective at the temperature range you plan to keep the fluid. The dilution is based upon what's recommended...

It's a reasonably big investment but it works great. I have had the exact opposite experience as above poster... even in a heated traditional tank it takes much longer for sediment to become loose and more energy to get rid of it... I run parts max 2 cycles in ultrasonic and then gently wipe them down and good as new.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Another vote for ultrasonic - used on many cassettes and it's spectacular convenient.
Just ride ..

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Can you give more detail on the correct solution for ultrasonic cleaners? I've used simple green in a cheapie consumer one and the results weren't always great.

runner999

by runner999

:thumbup: I have a one tank model with the heater in my home shop that I put chains, cassettes, mechanical derailleurs, rim brakes (minus pads) and various other small bicycle parts. Does a great job! Let's me work on something else while it's cleaning.

I've used water based bike part solvents but good old fashion mineral spirits is cheaper and IMO does a better job. I empty the used fluid in a plastic gallon container and the crud settles to the bottom leaving the clear stuff on top for reuse.

kdawg

by kdawg

I got one for about $30 - designed for jewellery and stuff but it does the job. Plenty big enough for a chain or cassette.

I just use white spirit like I would soak a chain in anyway - a few minutes and it comes out gleaming.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

greenedgefan

by greenedgefan

kdawg wrote:I got one for about $30 - designed for jewellery and stuff but it does the job. Plenty big enough for a chain or cassette.

I just use white spirit like I would soak a chain in anyway - a few minutes and it comes out gleaming.

Where did you find yours, kdawg? I'd like a cleaner for cassette and chain only.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

greenedgefan wrote:
kdawg wrote:I got one for about $30 - designed for jewellery and stuff but it does the job. Plenty big enough for a chain or cassette.

Where did you find yours, kdawg? I'd like a cleaner for cassette and chain only.

If he's in the US, most likely Harbor Freight Tools.
This one will hold a cassette and chain but it is very rudimentary: http://www.harborfreight.com/ultrasonic ... -3305.html
image_18431[1].jpg

Here is another for more money but heated and bigger: http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-u ... 95563.html
image_11949[1].jpg

Rippin

by Rippin

I've noticed that manufacturers do not recommend flammable products, like mineral spirits, in an ultrasonic cleaner. Any real concern to this?
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I would guess this just has to do with the fact that there is a heating element in the basin. I own the second one WheresWaldo posted. It works so-so. I was expecting magic like the industrial one we had at work for cleaning test boards, but the effect wasn't quite as strong. I found that it worked way better with hot water, and the included heater took too long to get to temperature.

kdawg

by kdawg

Mine looks like the first one - pretty basic.

Got it in Aldi in the UK. I've seen them in their specials occasionally over the years. Could do with another one as I bought it for work but it's been in my garage for a while...
I'm left handed, if that matters.

russianbear

by russianbear

Have those of your who used these basic ones noticed improvement in chain life?

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

I have a standard 20gallon heated parts washer by park. We use simple green crystal solution with 3 parts water.

We also have a $4000 ultrasonic cleaner. I've tried literally 15 different solutions and dilution ratios on the ultrasonic and have not been able to get it to work to my liking.

Once the regular parts washer heats up (20 minutes) I can put anything in it and let it sit under the stream for 5 minutes and lightly scrub off the residue.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

russianbear wrote:Have those of your who used these basic ones noticed improvement in chain life?

My information is only anecdotal, so take it for what it is worth. I find that the entire drivetrain seems to show less wear. I really believe this is because with the Ultrasonic cleaner I clean the chain more often and lube it with a dry lubricant more often. Everything stays cleaner and quieter and I believe the chain lasts longer. I can get about 5000 miles (~8000 Km) out of a chain before the Park Chain Checking tools shows excessive wear. I usually don't wait that long to change them so I would guess that the entire drivetrain is benefitting from the better chain life.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com