New Ritchey Superlogic Link seatpost

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Starter

by Starter

Here's the new Ritchey Superlogic Link seatpost, set for general release either at the end of this year or early 2015. It's essentially a Superlogic (read: hi-mod carbon) version of the WCS Carbon Link Flexlogic seatpost.

It features a "vertically compliant" layup, to soften bumps. It also uses a two-bolt reversible clamp for either 5mm or 25mm of setback. Shown below is the 5mm position.

Weight is around 153g for a 27.2 x 350mm, making it lighter even than the standard Superlogic post, which is 147g in a 27.2 x 300mm. As I only need around 270mm of post, I assume I should be able to cut it down and achieve around 125g-130g or so.

I'll post some thoughts once I've put a few hundred miles on it.
Oof.

odin99

by odin99

i'd be interested to know after a large "n" if the saddle clamp mechanism slips at all. i've had trouble with alien seatpost clamp mechanism slipping ever so slightly over time. the alien post where the clamp attaches sort of looks like that above, albeit alum not carbon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

F45

by F45

The weight is pretty good. Is the saddle rail cradle aluminum or carbon?

Starter

by Starter

Put in a quick 40 miles on the post... To address the two questions above...

No, the clamp doesn't slip. I was initially concerned about this as well, but it was fine for the ride today, which included a lot of climbing on some pretty steep roads, meaning my weight was on the rear of the saddle- perfect conditions for slippage if there was going to be any.

The entire clamp assembly is alloy, there are no carbon components on the post beyond the shaft. I believe the bolts are steel. I imagine one could drop 15 or so grams with titanium bolts, if one were so inclined. I am not; I trust steel bolts more.
Oof.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

The standard superlogic post is rock solid if torqued properly. Have one on each bike. No slippage in over 12,000 k's. The superlogic posts are weight weenie setback secrets.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$mokeyJoe

by $mokeyJoe

It's a pity they're not usefull for 7x9mm rails.
*Light is beautiful*
BMC SLC01 5900g ... Litespeed Vortex 6300g ... Merida Carbon Lite 7000g ... Velocite Selene 8000g ... Argon18 E114 +/-8500g ... Trek 1500 9500g

GT56

by GT56

$mokeyJoe wrote:It's a pity they're not usefull for 7x9mm rails.

why not ? they clamp top - bottom

i tried this post, be it the wcs version

too flexy for my 84 kg

$mokeyJoe

by $mokeyJoe

I've tried to clamp a Speedneedle saddle on this post but it doesn't work. :-(

Even after filing a little bit in the up and bottom clamp it's not possible to clamp it as the bolt for the clamp not just have to keep the saddle in place but also keep the clamp in it's place on the seatpost.

I've searched for another seatpost for my Speedneedle.
*Light is beautiful*
BMC SLC01 5900g ... Litespeed Vortex 6300g ... Merida Carbon Lite 7000g ... Velocite Selene 8000g ... Argon18 E114 +/-8500g ... Trek 1500 9500g

djwalker

by djwalker

This seatpost works fine with Specialized oval carbon rails. Also, I have had no slipping of the seat. I used carbon paste on the curved carbon top of the post like Ritchey recommended.

F45

by F45

Starter wrote:The entire clamp assembly is alloy, there are no carbon components on the post beyond the shaft. I believe the bolts are steel. I imagine one could drop 15 or so grams with titanium bolts, if one were so inclined. I am not; I trust steel bolts more.

So with some tuning this post could get down to <135g. There are posts from Taiwan that come with a carbon cradle, though I'm not sure how much weight they save over Al.

Rick

by Rick

If you are referring to the Ritchey One-Bolt mechanism, like on the Superlogic and Carbon, it does work with 7X9 rails, but you need a different clamp assembly that is sold separately. I am using it and it clamps very securely (with carbon paste on contact surfaces and loctite on the bolt, of course)

Starter

by Starter

Cut the post today and lost 24g, bringing the total weight to 129g with the standard bolts.

@$mokeyjoe- I believe you're referring to the current Superlogic 1-bolt post. I'm unsure of that post's compatibility with oversized rails. However as I mentioned, this is the new Superlogic Link post, which will be released either at the end of this year or early next. It uses a two-bolt Link reversible clamp, which is a top-to-bottom mechanism, so 7x9 rails work fine with it. In fact, that's my S-Works Toupe in the picture, which has 7x9 rails.
Oof.

tinozee

by tinozee

Hey guys I have several carbon Ritchey posts and like them but I've yet to try this link version. How is it does it compare to say a Syntace P6 hiflex? Is it super flexy or just right? I weigh ~155lbs.

$mokeyJoe

by $mokeyJoe

Rick wrote:

If you are referring to the Ritchey One-Bolt mechanism, like on the Superlogic and Carbon, it does work with 7X9 rails, but you need a different clamp assembly that is sold separately. I am using it and it clamps very securely (with carbon paste on contact surfaces and loctite on the bolt, of course)

Oh shame on me... :oops:

You're right Rick. I'm talking about the 1-bolt seatpost and this topic is about the new 2-bolt seatpost. Anyway, i've just made an order for another clamp so i hope this will fix my problem. :wink:
*Light is beautiful*

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Starter

by Starter

tinozee wrote:Hey guys I have several carbon Ritchey posts and like them but I've yet to try this link version. How is it does it compare to say a Syntace P6 hiflex? Is it super flexy or just right? I weigh ~155lbs.

I ride the P6 hiflex on my 29er... It's a bit tough to directly compare it with the Superlogic Link because the posts are on such wildly different rigs. My road bike and 29er require different post diameters, so I can't compare the two posts on the same bike... Even if I shimmed the 29er, I'd be comparing a 31.6 to a 27.2... Not exactly fair as far as a compliance test is concerned.

I can say that the P6 makes for a very smooth ride on my 29er, and the Superlogic Link makes for a very smooth ride on my road bike. Neither are overly flexy, or feel as if they are sucking efficiency.
Oof.