Clavicula Road Compact Ticking :-(

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

csteenbe

by csteenbe

Hello,

I have bought a second hand Clavicula Road Compact Crank, problem is that it has a ticking sound.

The ticking sound can be produced on the Bike Stand when I block the rearwheel and put pressure on one of the Pedals and than give a Minor, very minor, hit on the Crank arm.

You hit from Right to Left, this matters because it can not be produced when you give the minor hit from Left to Right, with both the Crank-Arms the ticking sound can be produced.

The sound produced is exact when driving the bike.....

BB is normal BSA.

What I already done:

- Swap Wheels.
- New BB bearings, used the old Cups.
- New Chainring Bolts, from THM.
- Disassembled Seatpost / Fork and checked everything.
- Greased Chainring Bolts, Chainrings contact on the spider, but also ungreased it.
- Put Teflon Tape on the Cups.
- Greased the Aluminium Bolts on the Left Arm.
- Left off the Center Bolt.
- Ungreased completly the Spindle but also Greased it.

I am running Super Record 11 speed non-electric. with Stronglight CT2 11 speed chainrings.

Maybe anyone a Idea?

Thanks!

Illuminate

by Illuminate

Hi,

I've had the occasional annoying click too. For me, problems have been:

Seatpost -small movement of the post within the frame. Metal on metal gives click.
Diagnosed- click is present when seated pedalling but disappears upon standing and riding out of the saddle.
Problem was caused by paint wearing off seatpost (ritchey wet black paint) causing just a tiny bit of movement. Remedy with new seatpost. Temp remedy - liberally greased seatpost and inside of seat tube.

Chainring bolts- athena chainset. Movement.
diagnosed- audible from area.
Remedy by disassembly and complete regrease of outside of bolts where they sit in the chainrings as well as insides (outsides weren't greasedfrom factory for mine) plus fasten bolts tightly.

Frame crack (alloy frame).
Diagnosed- visual inspection.
Remedy - warranty.

It could also be worthwhile checking your pedals with regreasing the threads and re torquing them in case they are loose.

Cheers,I

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

csteenbe

by csteenbe

Thanks @Illuminate.

I can rule out the frame set because it was not ticking with the Campy Cranckset, also swapped the Pedals.

Only thing I can imagne is the Cups, because they were easily installed by hand without any force....

Thanks!

BruceCarnevale

by BruceCarnevale

You mention the "spindle," but have you carefully checked the two metal rings on the crank axle? I also had a ticking sound, and when I disassembled the crank I found that one ring had come loose; it spun on the carbon axle. Only two days ago, I sent the crank back to THM.

csteenbe

by csteenbe

@BruceCarnevale, Yes I have checked them, only thing I could see is some wear on the metal rings. The Crank does not have any play when installed!

Thanks!

N.T

by N.T

Check the pedals! I had similar problem and it disappeared after I got different pedals.
Fuelled by kofein

csteenbe

by csteenbe

Pedals are checked, also without pedals I can reproduce the Ticking sound :-(

Yesterday I found out when I put pressure on the Crank Arm at 3:00 o'clock from inside to outside, and I give a minor hit on the arm from the outside the Ticking sound can be reproduced..., on both Crank arms.

I noticed also when I bold on the central screw from the left cranck arm, it is impossible to block it. This screw has as function to adjust the play sideways, normally when it is to thight your Crank will not run around smoothly.

I do feel a little bit of side play at 3:00 o'clock, but not on 6:00 o'clock.

Thanks!

sychen

by sychen

Does the crankset have bearings in the cranks? My campagnolo SR set had a similar sound to your description. Had the shop look at the problem... Wasn't in the bb... They went looking in the wheels.... Found a cracked bearing in the crank.

csteenbe

by csteenbe

Thanks.

The bearings are in the Cups -> Pressed, Super record has the Bearings pressed on the Axle.

$mokeyJoe

by $mokeyJoe

Maybe as you've changed the bearings and not the cups, could be that the bearings are not perfectly fitted into the BB cups.
*Light is beautiful*
BMC SLC01 5900g ... Litespeed Vortex 6300g ... Merida Carbon Lite 7000g ... Velocite Selene 8000g ... Argon18 E114 +/-8500g ... Trek 1500 9500g

la rosa

by la rosa

Check skewers

csteenbe

by csteenbe

Still Ticking :-( :-( Crank has been sent to THM twice, and is now almost completly refurbished.....

However now I pin-pointed the problem, when cupbearing at the driveside is not tight fitted to the bracket there is no Ticking.....

Thought use of 1mm spacer should be the possible solution, however no still ticking with spacer. However when I loosen the cupbearing at driveside Ticking is gone.

Can not be the frame because I fitted a Campagnolo Crank, everything was fine no Ticking what so ever.....

Any one a idea......?

Thanks!

xena
Banned

by xena

If you have play at 3 o clock and not at 6 o clock then this can only be the bearings or the cup. There must be wear/space causing movement.
Being you replaced the bearings then it must be the cup.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

kode54

by kode54

check your chain. if you are using a missing link...it may be worn.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

csteenbe

by csteenbe

Thanks for you replies.

Chain is not the problem when the problem not exists with a Campagnolo Crank.....

About the Cups; in the mean time also with other THM cups tried without any succes :-(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com