Baum Corretto - Stem Choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Baum Corretto Stem Choice ?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:10 am

3T Arx II
40%
Enve Carbon Stem
60%

Total votes: 10

tommasini

by tommasini

Personally - the ARX II is dog ugly - I much prefer the std ARX version. The Enve stem I doesn't do anything for me either. A stem that matches the frame is also not a priority for me......That said, I'd pick what you would be most happy with not what others suggest you
might like via the internet.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'd push them to paint a Deda Zero 100 stem like they used to do. Those paired up very well with those frames. Wonder why they won't do that now. Did they give a reason?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, I suppose it's less complicated, but how much are you paying again...?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Bespoke?????
Less is more.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Ridulous response from Baum. Fully custom bikes and then offering only two (poor) choices for a matching stem.
Might as well call this "Project One", but I won't.
Baum is making their 'challenge' the customer's 'problem'...
Bespoke customers who encounter problems (that should not be problems) should go elsewhere.
As you have already ordered the frameset, the least Baum can do is provide the color codes to you so you can have a proper stem painted to match elsewhere.

LionelB

by LionelB

Calnago wrote:Yes, I suppose it's less complicated, but how much are you paying again...?

Yes exactly.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Calnago wrote:Yes, I suppose it's less complicated, but how much are you paying again...?

Yep...this is what sh..s me about Baum...a customer pays a premium and has a choice of any colour only it has to be in their style and font...oh and now the same with stems?

LionelB

by LionelB

I can understand that they provide a limited number of paint schemes and "control" that. But only offer 2 stems is just stupid.

fa63

by fa63

If Baum told me I had only two choices for a painted stem after I paid an ungodly amount of money for one of their frames, I think I would have some very choice words for them. That is beyond ridiculous.

kac

by kac

Is the Baum response a variation of the old Henry Ford offer regarding Model-T cars, to wit, "You can have any color you want as long as it's black"?

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Can you not buy the stem you want separately and send it to Baum for paint? That seems like a reasonable request.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@j1mm: I know you said you already made your decision, but I am completely with you on the ugliness of the bulky carbon stem (choice 2) and I really don't like the design of the new 3T Arx II with that single bolt. Is the original 3T Arx (with two bolts) still even being sold. Surely they could do that if it is, or if you could get one and provide it to them.

The other thing to consider is the bars you're using. I think it's kinda nice to have a matching cockpit if that works for you. In other words, if you go with a 3T stem, a 3T bar is aesthetically nice providing you can get one that works for you. Same with a deda stem, deda bar. Of course, sometimes your needs overrule the aesthetics as they should, but if you can accomplish both then why not.

The thing I've always liked about Baum's paint jobs (which I've typically really really liked) over a lot of other Ti builders is that they actually paint the fork, stem and seatpost to match. This is especially noticeable on the fork. The whole bike looks complete then. Whenever I see a beautiful ti frame with a black carbon fork stuck on it, I think... what a shame they couldn't get a more cohesive look to the whole thing. That is Baum's strongsuit. They shouldn't discount or ignore that. And as others have said, for them to be digging their heels into the ground over a stem choice, especially when they'll be painting it and you already said you're willing to pay extra, is just ludicrous from a business standpoint in my opinion. If they don't want to deal with picky customers, they should be doing something very very different than making custom bike frames. Plus, the two choices they've given you are just plain ugly.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

I have a Baum Corretto - which I love.

My 2c is that Baum offers a particular product - its vision on both technical and artistic excellence. If you approach working with Darren as a customer-led-get-anything- I-want-because-I-am-paying-a-lot you may be disappointed. Darren will be extremely accommodating as long as you work within the parameters he believes constitute an excellent product. I found he is equally fastidious about the aesthetics of his products as he is about the technical side of things and considers every aspect of his bikes very deeply.

Similarly whilst his pricing may seem steep outside of Australia down here his frames retail for less than many mass produced high-end products by working to tight margins and being efficient. Hence he may set limits on how much he can afford to cater for specific requests and still maintain some production process efficiencies. I certainly couldn't get the customisation with a Pinarello Dogma that I got with my Corretto even though the former is mass produced and more expensive. Every variation that you introduce is another potential cost or source of risk.

The stems he offers may be the only ones he feels are right for his bikes - either functionally, aesthetically or both. Alternatively it may be the rules he has established to enable him to offer a given product at a given price point. You will find the same applies to the other components he doesn't make himself - forks, seat clamps, headsets etc etc

The whole thing is what makes a Baum a Baum.

At the end of the day the bikes are unique - I am pretty certain you will be smiling on the first ride regardless of what is holding the handlebars on.

I got a Deda originally with mine - now got an Enve

Last edited by dadoflam08 on Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

beeatnik

by beeatnik

A painted ENVE stem will always look better than a naked ENVE stem.

beeatnik

by beeatnik

^Periodically, check your bank statement and look at the withdrawal. That could temper the excitement a little. :p

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com