New Frame SLR01 vs. Vial Evo vs. Ult. CF SLX vs. Cervelo R5

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dak

by dak

Hi All,

Looking to upgrade my 2012 BMC SL01 to a new frame set. I would be using either my existing Ultegra Di2 or buying a complete bike with DuraAce Di2. Running ENVE 6.7s and looking to shed some weight on the bike. Priorities are Ride quality (i.e. not rediculously stiff vertically), weight and compatibility with groups listed above.

I have looked at quite a few frames but have narrowed it down to the 2014 BMC SLR01 vs. AX Lightness Vial Evo vs. Canyon Ult. CF SLX vs. Cervelo R5. I have also looked at the Wilier Zero 7.

Unfortunately my location does not have the option to test ride all of these brands.

I am open to other suggestions but I have checked the Geometry on these and found them to all be relatively close to what I am on now.

Any experienced suggestions and comments are welcomed.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Dimitri

Here is my current ride which I still love!
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141400

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

How much money do you want to spend will highly influence what you end up getting out of those suggestions, but as you list the Vial I'm guessing the sky is the limit

dak

by dak

dereksmalls wrote:How much money do you want to spend will highly influence what you end up getting out of those suggestions, but as you list the Vial I'm guessing the sky is the limit

The budget is not unlimited, but it is fairly high. I already have 2 sets of wheels that I am very happy with. Depending on how much I spend on the new frame, I may repurpose my current groupo and or cockpit. Aside from the wheels, I'd like to keep it under $4-6,000 depending on whether or not I buy a new component group set. I think I could probably get $2,000 for my current bike with the kysirium elites that came with it, though I haven't checked used prices.
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

dak

by dak

Also considered the supersix nano but the geometry seems a little more aggressive.
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

You're probably not looking for other suggestions, but based on your criteria (which was similar to mine a few months ago), have you considered the new Parlee Altum? It would compliment your Enve wheels very well, is stated at around 750g for the frame, and Parlees are known for their plush ride.

Feel free to ignore this if you have already considered and ruled Parlees out!
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)

Philbar72

by Philbar72

Any of the aforementioned framesets would be an immense improvement on the SL01 you’ll notice it most in the handling department where all 3 have a very direct interface, I’ve got the latest SLR01 and compared it to the supersix Evo and Tarmac.

The Nano Evo is incredibly light, and incredibly aggressive in terms of geometry. I run a BMC SLR01 2014, and it does everything really well. The frameset is not cheap, but if you were on a budget, the SLR02 is an excellent frame (though you’d have to buy a complete bike).

My SLR01 is (with mechanical Ultegra, C24 wheels and a carbon cockpit by 3t) 6.65kg. it absolutely flies up hill and in terms of descending it is very fast and controlled. It is also very very comfortable. You can get a very aggressive position on it quite easily, if needs be without sacrificing too much in the way of comfort or handling.

dak

by dak

Thanks for the suggestion. I had not looked at the parlee frames yet but will definitely check them out.

greentimgreen wrote:You're probably not looking for other suggestions, but based on your criteria (which was similar to mine a few months ago), have you considered the new Parlee Altum? It would compliment your Enve wheels very well, is stated at around 750g for the frame, and Parlees are known for their plush ride.

My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

dak

by dak

Thanks for your comments. I am drawn to BMC after the great experience I've had on the SL01. the SLR01 also seems very uniformly loved in all the reviews I've read. On a side note I weighed my SL01 Ultegra Di2 with the Enve 6.7s clinchers, cages, pedals and computer at 7.87kgs. 6.65kgs with Ultegra components sounds very attractive! :)

I would love to hear from anyone with experience b/w the slr01 and the Vial evo or really any of the other frames.

Philbar72 wrote:Any of the aforementioned framesets would be an immense improvement on the SL01 you’ll notice it most in the handling department where all 3 have a very direct interface, I’ve got the latest SLR01 and compared it to the supersix Evo and Tarmac.

The Nano Evo is incredibly light, and incredibly aggressive in terms of geometry. I run a BMC SLR01 2014, and it does everything really well. The frameset is not cheap, but if you were on a budget, the SLR02 is an excellent frame (though you’d have to buy a complete bike).

My SLR01 is (with mechanical Ultegra, C24 wheels and a carbon cockpit by 3t) 6.65kg. it absolutely flies up hill and in terms of descending it is very fast and controlled. It is also very very comfortable. You can get a very aggressive position on it quite easily, if needs be without sacrificing too much in the way of comfort or handling.
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

wingguy

by wingguy

Philbar72 wrote:The Nano Evo is incredibly light, and incredibly aggressive in terms of geometry.

Unless I'm missing something (I'm not too familiar with bmc in general) the Supersix Evo is almost identical to the SL01 in geometry. Stack and reach in size 54 is EVO 384 544 vs SL01 389 545.

Also, while the Nano frame with SISL2 crank and both spider rings is reasonably pricey the Evo HM frame + fork is pretty good value.

prebsy

by prebsy

The R5 would certainly help tidy up that front end, with the bit higher head-tube. It sounds like you've got all the parts you need and just need to add a frame. If you picked up an R5 and a different crank you could shed some SERIOUS weight and get some great ride quality. The canyons are sweet but they are electronic only or mechanical only frames you have to consider that if you want to switch groups in the future.

mattias737

by mattias737

I´m a bit biased here, since I own a vial evo.. But to conclude it´s a simply amazing piece of kit, light, swift and really stiff in the BB area. An absolute favorite of mine, compared to the R3 it was replacing it´s more responsive and agile, yet actually quite stable on higher speed descends, and yes it´s light!!

dak

by dak

Does anyone sell the vial evo to the usa? Also I am having trouble finding the vial evo as a complete bike. The only seller I found was star bike and it was frame only.
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

dak

by dak

The Altum looks really interesting from a geometry standpoint. the z5 sli looks pretty impressive also.

greentimgreen wrote:You're probably not looking for other suggestions, but based on your criteria (which was similar to mine a few months ago), have you considered the new Parlee Altum? It would compliment your Enve wheels very well, is stated at around 750g for the frame, and Parlees are known for their plush ride.

My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

BH Ultralight Evo (Not biased one bit)

PS are you a dentist?

dak

by dak

nope, not a dentist. Why?

wpccrunner wrote:BH Ultralight Evo (Not biased one bit)

PS are you a dentist?
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com