New Frame SLR01 vs. Vial Evo vs. Ult. CF SLX vs. Cervelo R5

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ajmit3

by ajmit3

what did you go with ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dak

by dak

see below.
Last edited by dak on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141400

dak

by dak

Still have not pulled the trigger! Paralysis by analysis I guess. I think I have it down to the BMC Slr01, the Parlee Altum or the AX Lightness Vial Evo. I really like the Vial Evo and its geometry but I have some concerns over the 74° seatpost on the size medium bringing me to close to over the cranks (
I've had knee issues in the past). I am also concerned about what the warranty process/
Responsiveness would be like for a US consumer on the Vial.

I would love some feedback from any Vial owners out there. I would also love feedback from any Parlee Altum owners as there are no reviews I could find.

Thanks
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

chalkie

by chalkie

Vial Evo D! Stiff yet comfortable, incredible handling plus best fork on the market.

dak

by dak

chalkie wrote:Vial Evo D! Stiff yet comfortable, incredible handling plus best fork on the market.

Hi Chalkie

Are you in the US? If so, who did you purchase yours through? I have a call out to Competitive Cyclist, as I noticed they started carrying some AX products. I also plan to reach out to Fair Wheel Bikes to see if they can get a hold of the frame for a custom build as I had a great experience working with them on my set of custom ENVE 6.7s.
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

kode54

by kode54

the Parlee Altum hasn't been out that long, so not sure who has one. i expect to replace one of my Z5 SL with the Altum, most likely the Di2 one. if you read the posts on the Vial EVO, there are some that switched from a Parlee and think the EVO is a nicer and sublime riding frame. to me, that's hard to believe...but hey, i haven't ridden many frames like some of folks here.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

dak

by dak

kode54 wrote:the Parlee Altum hasn't been out that long, so not sure who has one. i expect to replace one of my Z5 SL with the Altum, most likely the Di2 one. if you read the posts on the Vial EVO, there are some that switched from a Parlee and think the EVO is a nicer and sublime riding frame. to me, that's hard to believe...but hey, i haven't ridden many frames like some of folks here.

Kode,

Thanks for your comments. Could you provide any feedback between the ESX and the Z5 SLI? I have for the most part steered clear from the aero frames for weight and comfort issues, but the ESX still interests me as the build can still be reasonably light for and aero frame and people always talk about the comfort of the Parlee frames.
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

chalkie

by chalkie

dak wrote:
chalkie wrote:Vial Evo D! Stiff yet comfortable, incredible handling plus best fork on the market.

Hi Chalkie

Are you in the US? If so, who did you purchase yours through? I have a call out to Competitive Cyclist, as I noticed they started carrying some AX products. I also plan to reach out to Fair Wheel Bikes to see if they can get a hold of the frame for a custom build as I had a great experience working with them on my set of custom ENVE 6.7s.

I got mine through r2-bike. They're great people to deal with. Shipping to the U.S. shouldn't be much of a problem.
Last edited by chalkie on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rossjm11

by rossjm11

Honestly, the Nano is definitely the best in my opinion. I used to work at a Cannondale Dealer so I am a bit biased. The Evo is just such a nice frame. It handles well, is light, is stiff yet doesn't leave you completely wrecked after a long ride. The Nano would look sick with those Enves and would probably still be super light without upgrading to Dura Ace. I am sure the BMC SLR01 is great, but I have read around the internet that the frame doesn't compare to an Evo. The R5 would be my second choice of what you listed.

ALSO if you get the nanos get a set of https://fairwheelbikes.com/kcnc-grooving-road-skewers-p-5536.html?zenid=4bc529646c20895a3b1ae3b73f837416 In the black with Gold Accents
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

Bogan

by Bogan

Lazarus
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

dak

by dak

Finally made a choice! see below for finished product. Build list and weight in the intro forum linked below. thanks for all the feedback

My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

looks great with that slammed stem, but when you put a stem tower with a positive angle stem it will look pretty bad and you are putting a lot of stress on a thin carbon steer tube. The OP is better off with upright endurance frame.

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

dak wrote:Finally made a choice! see below for finished product. Build list and weight in the intro forum linked below. thanks for all the feedback

That looks great. Love the colour. I think it would look better with Enve 3.4 or 4.5. Think the deep dish look best on full aero bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dak

by dak

ChiZ01 wrote:looks great with that slammed stem, but when you put a stem tower with a positive angle stem it will look pretty bad and you are putting a lot of stress on a thin carbon steer tube. The OP is better off with upright endurance frame.

LOL. I am the original poster. My fit has changed quite a bit since I originally posted this. I am down in weight about 35 lbs. My gut was in the way before. :thumbup: Got to love cycling!
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dak

by dak

cunn1n9 wrote:
dak wrote:Finally made a choice! see below for finished product. Build list and weight in the intro forum linked below. thanks for all the feedback

That looks great. Love the colour. I think it would look better with Enve 3.4 or 4.5. Think the deep dish look best on full aero bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks cunn1n9! I would love a pair of 4.5's but I already owned the 6.7's and alas I don't have permission from the boss (read wife) to spend another $2k+ on new wheels. And living in flat Florida, the 6.7's make the most sense for me.
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod