KMC missing link chewing 7900 cassette

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PSM

by PSM

I got the feeling that my missing link is chewing on my 7900 cassette. Is this possible?

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Assuming you have the correct link for your chain - do you? And it's properly installed and fully seated, then I don't see any reason for cassette damage. I''ve been using their 10 and 11-speed chains for a couple of years now with no problem.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

i had one on my 7900 before changing groupo to 9070. one instance, one of the pins was loose and caused a noise. i swapped it out before it got worse. not sure of how many miles was put on with that missing link, but it was a few. check to see if any of the pins are loose.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

One the same note - has the link been on and off? Easy to damage on removal if you aren't careful. Could get bent or pin loose as @kode says

One.

PSM

by PSM

It is the correct link. It was new.

I will check the others... I think the chain is a bit flubby too. Maybe I have to change after like 100 km mts. on Majorca + another 50 at home.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Timely post! Normally I always install my own chains, but the last one was installed by an LBS. They didn't mention that they had used a Missing Link.

Subsequently, the problem I'm having is the "phantom chain drop". It happens under heavy load, in the big chain ring and when shifting from the 19 to the 18 cassette cog with the rear derailleur.

Trying to figure this out is when I discovered the use of the missing link. The thicker plate is somehow snagging the front derailleur. I still don't fully understand how the chain can drop just by shifting the rear derailleur, but I do know it is because of the missing link.

Maybe they used a 10 speed link on my 11speed chain? Maybe the thicker/larger plate is being lifted off the front chainring ramp pin when there is an excessive angle to the chain from front to rear?

I could see how it might cause wear on a cassette if there is an extreme angle between it and the front chainrings.

In my case, the abrupt and completely bazaar chain drop has cause chaos for those behind me on several occasions. I'm thinking removing it would be the best thing for solving my chain problem.
Last edited by Bridgeman on Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PSM

by PSM

YEAH! it is thicker and I think this might be the problem...

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Just measured a KMC 11-spd chain. The link is only very fractionally wider than the rest. 5.55mm chain vs 5.60mm link. On a KMC 10-spd chain I'm measuring 5.90mm chain and 6.00mm link.

Never had a shifting issue with any bike that I blamed on the chain.

Since I was measuring, I checked a Wipperman 10-speed chain too. Chain 6.00mm and link 6.11mm. Have a SRAM 10-speed link too - it's 6.00mm, the same as the Wipperman chain.

I used Wippermans for years on my 10-speed bikes - never a single issue.
Last edited by bikerjulio on Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

One.

PSM

by PSM

Hmm... It might be a squirrel then. ;)

Steve_W

by Steve_W

Just my 2 pence worth, I've been using kmc chains now for the last 7 years, all with 7800 and more recently 7900.
The last 3 7900 cassettes I've had, have wore really quick, I had performance issues with every one.
I was really reluctant to continue paying the premium price for these cassettes, opting for the cheaper ultegra......
What a difference, more life, quieter shifting, more money left in my account.

PSM

by PSM

Steve_W wrote:Just my 2 pence worth, I've been using kmc chains now for the last 7 years, all with 7800 and more recently 7900.
The last 3 7900 cassettes I've had, have wore really quick, I had performance issues with every one.
I was really reluctant to continue paying the premium price for these cassettes, opting for the cheaper ultegra......
What a difference, more life, quieter shifting, more money left in my account.

Very good input. I have considered this too...

mulletmaster

by mulletmaster

Yeh I wouldn't bother with 7900 cassettes either ti cogs last half the time for the sake of a couple of grams

sclim

by sclim

@Steve_W: Sorry, if I'm missing something obvious, but I'm a Newbie using KMC master link on my 10 speed chains -- a CN6701 on my training wheels, and a CN7801 on my race wheels. I understand from your post that the DA chains wear faster than the Ultegra chains. But is this related at all to the use of the KMC master link, in your opinion? And have you had any issues with dropped chains? I have had dropped chains, but only while shifting to the small ring under load, I'd be hard pressed to blame this on the KMC master link, I would think.

Jiiim

by Jiiim

I wish wipperman would bring out an 11 speed quick link. They are very handy!

jano

by jano

sclim wrote:@Steve_W: Sorry, if I'm missing something obvious, but I'm a Newbie using KMC master link on my 10 speed chains -- a CN6701 on my training wheels, and a CN7801 on my race wheels. I understand from your post that the DA chains wear faster than the Ultegra chains. But is this related at all to the use of the KMC master link, in your opinion? And have you had any issues with dropped chains? I have had dropped chains, but only while shifting to the small ring under load, I'd be hard pressed to blame this on the KMC master link, I would think.

The DA cassettes that are wearing faster then the Ultegra Cassette, not the chains.

I've been riding for 3 years using KMC 10 speed chain with KMC missing links and with DA 7900 cassette, no issues whatsoever.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com