rotor 3d creaking

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

grouk

by grouk

hello

I've been with a problem that start to leave me nuts. my training bike is a specialized roubaix sl2 with a rotor 3d with power2max. the crank is constatly creaking from the bb area. when i clean and lube the bike if i loose the screws of the cranks and tightening everything the bike is ok, for 2 or 3 days. then he start to creak, first only off the sadle but became worse and worse, i think the creak is with the right crank at 6 o clock or the left at 12 o clock, i really cant figure out. when i came at home i loose the crank tightening again and he stays ok for more 2 or 3 days.but the screws are well tightening even when creaks my lbs do the same clean and lube and said to me the bike is ok. but is not...

can someone help me

sorry for the bad english, but the google translator...

Lig

by Lig

Hi Grouk,

What bottom bracket does the frame have? If its a standard BSA then I would remove clean and refit. IF its a press fit then I would remove and refit with some Loctite 641.

I would also try another set of pedals as I have found this to be the source of many bottom bracket creaking!

I think tightening the crank bolts is a red herring.

Let us know.

Cheers,
Lig.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grouk

by grouk

my bb is a standart bsa. this bb is a shimano 6800 and he is smaller than previous ones and not have tool to this. I'll try that and about the pedals i had allready thik about it and I'll change my old exustar to a new time pedals

rmerka

by rmerka

Check and/or tighten your wheel skewers too. Seems odd that the creak is occurring in the "dead zone" of 6 and 12 o'clock. I think pedals are also a likely suspect.

ricey155

by ricey155

I'm running bb30 rotor 3d+ and q rings with 6800 di2 - I've had an annoying noise like yourself since about 600 miles - somebody mentioned greasing the hanger etc

I've replaced the bb30 with no real difference lube lasts 30 miles then its back, ear plugs might help or just let it go till it fails or gets louder

Sent from my 16gb Mi Pad (it works)

stormur

by stormur

buy spare BB for 6800 and you will get the tool :)

if you "touch" something and it's get better for a while - you touched the problem. Change Rotor chainset bolts for new (15€) , and mount it DRY ( chainring holes) , except thread : here use Loctite 648 - it's relatively strong retainer (green) , but there's no issues with unscrewing . tight them to about 8Nm ( same bolt order rules as car wheel tightening bolts ! ) and wait 2-3 days before ride. If that won't help, change bolts for FSA : they're bit softer alu , and prevent creaking .

Tightening : first make it 4Nm, then 5, then 6 …

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

grouk

by grouk

thanks to all. sunday i ill deep clean and lube my bikes and full disassemble / assemble the cranks and try to solve that problem then say something

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Had the same issue with the same set up. Finally removed the P2M spider from the cranks, gave it a thorough clean (was full of Belgie dirt and sand) and reassembled.

Noise gone.

Seems the interface between the spider and the crank mount has enough of a gap for small particles to get in to when wet. Then once they dry, they creak. Annoying as hell! On an otherwise terrific setup.

Hope this helps.

ricey155

by ricey155

My noise was there pre power2max install but not rotor for info - the rotor bolts are pretty average at best

Good info I'll try loctite on the bolts as well

grouk

by grouk

update

i take off everyting, bb, cranks, pedals powermeter and chainrings clean everyting lube assembly and correct torque every bolts i tink is ok, todai 170km 3500d+ lot of time riding in cranks and the creak is gone so far.

maybe is solve but didnt no where he came from

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

So cleaning everything fixed a creak?

Amazing ;)

grouk

by grouk

i hope so,

ricey155

by ricey155

Mines gone with RD hanger alignment tool fix - it always sounded like the crank but it was the RD :) - glad your sorted

spartan

by spartan

press fit crap..

inspired these guys

The two frames that started the idea (beyond Gary’s Wilier) were the Specialized OSBB and Cervelo’s BBright, which they say were notorious for having bottom bracket interface issues.

to come out with true innovative product

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpsCpp8 ... e=youtu.be
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rmerka

by rmerka

The guy has a threaded bottom bracket...this entire thread has nothing whatsoever to do with anything press fit.