BMC SLR01 or SLR02 or Bianchi XR1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tannerbob

by tannerbob

I am considering the bmc slr01 ultegra mechanical, bmc slr02 dura ace mechanical, and the bianchi xr1 ultegra mechanical.
I can get the bmcs at about the same price but I can get the xr1 $2500 bucks less than the bmcs.

I will be using the bike to race competitively and train 5 to 6 times a week.
Basically what I am unsure of is the comparison of all three frames.

Would love to hear all comments. :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

Be prepared, that BMC build accuracy will be noticebaly worse than other "prime" brands… dropouts, bb shell, headset bearings cups - expect to be not so accurately made . Also "small parts" like seatpost clamp , headset are cheapest possible.

However, BMC rides really nice :) owned 2 of them, some day / when they fix accuracy issue & down prices to better value for €/ will buy 3rd.

Just beaware of sizing - BMC's are "big" for the given size, and (unikely) SLR01 and 02 has different geometry (for 2015).

From other hand, for the money … are brands which will give you way more for same dollars ( NeilPryde, BH, Ridley, Colnago … )

If my choice will be narrowed only to BMC/ Bianchi - no doubts Oltre will be my next bike. Even for same money.

But for these money I would buy BH G6 Pro… f.e.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

There's no way the BMCs are going to be 2.5k better than the Bianchi, and I speak with authority even though I don't ride any of these bike [emoji2]

tannerbob

by tannerbob

Glad to hear these results. Thanks fellas. Now i can spend the extra cash on a power meter! If only they offered the XR1 in higher components in the US

killerrabbit

by killerrabbit

I really like my SLR02. You can't go wrong with it.

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

stormur wrote:Be prepared, that BMC build accuracy will be noticebaly worse than other "prime" brands… dropouts, bb shell, headset bearings cups - expect to be not so accurately made . Also "small parts" like seatpost clamp , headset are cheapest possible.

However, BMC rides really nice :) owned 2 of them, some day / when they fix accuracy issue & down prices to better value for €/ will buy 3rd.

Just beaware of sizing - BMC's are "big" for the given size, and (unikely) SLR01 and 02 has different geometry (for 2015).

From other hand, for the money … are brands which will give you way more for same dollars ( NeilPryde, BH, Ridley, Colnago … )

If my choice will be narrowed only to BMC/ Bianchi - no doubts Oltre will be my next bike. Even for same money.

But for these money I would buy BH G6 Pro… f.e.

How did you come to that conclusion? I've never had an issue with any of those items in the last 4 years.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

The golden rule of thumb is always opt for the better frame over a better drivetrain.

Ive ridden the SLR02 and was pretty unimpressed - felt sluggish through the BB under load, geometry was too far into the fondo category (at least the one I rode was super relaxed), very sharp feedback from the road. It did have a nice floaty ride quality however. I might elaborate a bit more later when I can be bothered, but I'd strongly encourage you to go for the SLR01 over the SLR02.

I own an Oltre XR2 and its *f##k* awesome. hands down the best allrounder I've ridden... and I've ridden at least 20 high end frames over the last few years. However, again, I'd suggest biding your time, its too bitter to settle for second best (i.e. the XR1). I got my Oltre XR2 frame new for $3500.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

superdx

by superdx

I'm also considering these frames, good to hear some of the feedback. Since I live all around hills and mountains, which one would be a better climber? Everything seems to indicate that the SLR01 would be ideal in hilly conditions. Many gradients above 10% where I live!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com