Crank set weight: Sram RED 22 vs. S-Works

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

knukkeltje

by knukkeltje

I've been searching the web, but could not find the answer yet, so I'm hoping someone here can help me...
What is the weight difference between Sram Red 22 cranks + spider (BB30, 172.5mm, 110BCD) and the 2014 S-Works cranks + spider? So the weights without the chain rings.
I'm considering a change to the S-works crank set if there is a 'big' weight gain.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aaric

by aaric

The only difference between the red 22 and exogram red cranks is the chainrings, so you could get the weights of the older exograms to compare: pretty sure there's a red crank info thread with a bunch of weights in it. (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=103730)

Given that a previous generation specialized crankset came in around 550 with praxis rings, and the red exograms are about that with the heavy sram rings, I'd bet you'd see the s-works as 30-50grams heavier.

nigel379

by nigel379

My previous generation S-works cranks were 513 grams with Extralite rings. 498 for the newest generation. Both with carbon spider.

knukkeltje

by knukkeltje

Thanks for the info so far.
The Red 22 crankset incl chainrings is 557 grams according to the Sram website. And indeed, the Sram outer ring is quite heavy.
Guess it makes more sense to go for Extralite or Praxis rings to save weight then.