Selle Italia SLR saddles

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Method01

by Method01

The new round rails of Selle Italia are a good improvement! However, it disturbs me that they indicate it with that yellow on the rail.
Is there a way to remove that text withouth damaging the rail?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Starter

by Starter

It depends on whether the yellow graphics are above or below the carbon clear-coat.

If they are above clear-coat, then I imagine a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser could easily and safely remove them in a few minutes.

However if the graphics are below the clear-coat (and I suspect they are), you would have to strip saddle rails. I'm not a big proponent of stripping clear-coat or paint from load-bearing carbon fiber, in my opinion the inherent risks outweigh any aesthetic improvements.

If I were in your shoes, my first order of business would be to determine where the graphics sit. If they are in fact below the clear-coat, I suggest simply waiting a year. The yellow graphics are ridiculously and needlessly loud, so you can rest assured you're not alone in disliking them. I'd imagine they will release a model with subtler graphics sooner rather than later. Probably by next model year. Or who knows... Maybe the saddle is OEM-spec'd equipment on some new bikes this year, with retooled graphics to match... Meaning with some patience and luck you'll be able to find a new take-off on eBay even sooner.
Oof.

wojchiech

by wojchiech

It's actually a pretty delicate over clear decal. I accidentally rubbed a small portion off while I was installing mine, then proceeded to scratch the rest off with my fingernail. I figured "might as well, and it looks cleaner too." :lol: :beerchug:

Method01

by Method01

wojchiech wrote:It's actually a pretty delicate over clear decal. I accidentally rubbed a small portion off while I was installing mine, then proceeded to scratch the rest off with my fingernail. I figured "might as well, and it looks cleaner too." :lol: :beerchug:

That's good news! Maybe I can order it somewhere, try to scratch (without damaging the saddle) it off and when it doesn't work just do a retour and wait for saddles without it :).

Starter

by Starter

Nice! Sounds like a job for Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, for sure. I use those things all the time on various cycling bits and bobs.
Oof.