dual pivot brake calipers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

markyboy

by markyboy

I am looking at changing my campagnolo super record brake calipers,what is out there that is lighter and will be better for braking?
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

You may find lighter, but doubt they will be better. Why, out of curiosity do you want to change?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I think the only option is the EE brake. It's the only thing that is both lighter and not a step down in performance.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Is Fibula a step down in performance?

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I generally exclude Fibulas from my first recommendations since they are price prohibitive in most cases. I don't think they are a step down from Campag in performance, but I think EE are a better install it and forget it option for a daily rider.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I have found that if you use calipers with a QR mechanism when there is already one built into your levers, it will bug you.

And do not buy TRP 970SL or similar - they are crap. You only have to look at the little alloy screws on the underside of the caliper and they will start to corrode. Nothing like a bit of stainless steel kit like you get with Campag.

jimborello

by jimborello

I bought a set of Ciamillos GSL micros to substitute my Campy Super record for my WW build, and they have nothing to do performance wise. Campy SR are much much better

Bogan

by Bogan

EE
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

Geoff

by Geoff

I agree with Calnago. You may get lighter, but not better.

markyboy

by markyboy

madcow wrote:I think the only option is the EE brake. It's the only thing that is both lighter and not a step down in performance.

Do these brakes fit standard frames? I have a c59
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Markyboy if you decide to sell please PM me as I'm looking for a pair and I'm not far away from you.

VTBike

by VTBike

Valbrona wrote:I have found that if you use calipers with a QR mechanism when there is already one built into your levers, it will bug you.

And do not buy TRP 970SL or similar - they are crap. You only have to look at the little alloy screws on the underside of the caliper and they will start to corrode. Nothing like a bit of stainless steel kit like you get with Campag.

I've found the opposite. I had set of Campag super records - dual pivot front, single pivot rear. I bought them on a clearance and just got them to try out. Used them for a season, but then got annoyed that it was the only Campag part on my bike. I switched to TRP 970's, and the performance difference was huge. I'm 195 lbs, and my regular rides feature 2000-4000 ft of elevation gain/drop. It's been 3 seasons with the 970's, and I would't think of doing anything different performance wise.

Also, no corrosion that you spoke of. I had 2 seasons where I rode in VT winters, and last season in NW Oregon. Rainy/snowy places to say the least.

markyboy

by markyboy

Mockenrue wrote:Markyboy if you decide to sell please PM me as I'm looking for a pair and I'm not far away from you.

no probs will keep you informed
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

sharkman

by sharkman

but then got annoyed that it was the only Campag part on my bike. I switched to TRP 970's, and the performance difference was huge.

That only can be explained by an extremely bad install of the Campagnolo brakes, or the combination of campagnolo brakes with some Shimano levers (somehow these two don't mix up too well performance wise). In every other case the Trp's are a pain to install and performance wise way beyond what you had.

rosuch

by rosuch

I have both trip 970s and Campy Sr. They both perform about the same. Can't beat Campy for the price and performance. They are far from WW material.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com