Get Ready, Set, Lube!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GreenGoat93

by GreenGoat93

I like trying new lubes. At the moment I'm using White Lightning Epic Ride. I plan on using some Finish line Ceramic Wet lube in combination with the White Lightning Epic Ride lube as well as a thin layer of their own sythnetic grease. I heard that some Tour De France mechanic like to do this (Use lube combinations). What do you do for your lube routine? What do you think of this idea?

Read this: http://www.bicyclefixation.com/lubes.htm
-Trek Madone 6 Series SSL 2012 with Sram Red 22 and American Classic Aero 420 wheels
-Bombrack Divide 2013
Also
Metho Everything!

tinozee

by tinozee

I use a lot of different greases for bearings, but for the chain I stick to T-9. I usually scrub the chain with degreaser and re-apply every 60-100 miles or every other ride. I also replace the chain like every 1000 miles, so elaborate chain lube process is overkill on time for me.

I do find this topic interesting, and if there is a magic formula that shaves watts I am all ears.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GreenGoat93

by GreenGoat93

Yeah. Just walked into my local bike shop to find that they now stock all the Finish Line products. So many lubes and cleaner etc. I quickly bought 2 ceramic wet lubes and a aerosol teflon spray.

I don't think many people use a bit of grease on their chains though. My road bike is being repaired becuase of a crack right now and all I can do it look at chainreaction cyles lubes and greases page... Sigh
-Trek Madone 6 Series SSL 2012 with Sram Red 22 and American Classic Aero 420 wheels
-Bombrack Divide 2013
Also
Metho Everything!

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Wet lubes and grease just attract dirt and forms a grinding paste which wears chai rings and cassettes faster.
Rock n Roll Blue is my favourite, chain runs quieter than with RocknRoll Gold, works well in the wet and easy to keep chains clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I have only really known pro mechanics use grease on chains in very heavy rain/flooded road conditions. If you use a synthetic grease on a chain it can be difficult to remove afterwards, so a 'bio-type' is preferable. But, of course, ordinarily you would not use grease on a chain.

Dry lubes coat and stay cleaner but tend not to lubricate as well. You get better lubrication with wet lubes but you need to clean out the grit frequently. Not a problem if you are a pro and have someone clean your bike after every race.

GreenGoat93

by GreenGoat93

Ok so I think I won't use the grease after all. Better to stick to dry teflon/ceramic lubes. I put a lot on and apply before every ride. rinse off and clean after 2 rides is my routine
-Bombrack Divide 2013
Also
Metho Everything!

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Boeshield T-9 for me too. Tried all the rest, and bike specific lubes just cost too much and there really is not much specific about them. Besides if you buy T-9 you can get it at most Sears stores by the gallon, lasts a lifetime. T-9 every other week or when the chain starts to make a bit of noise.

I have tried all the rest, Paraffin, Tri-Flow, White Lightning, Finish Line, RockNRoll, even did a homebrew solution for a year or so. T-9 was way cheaper (in bulk sizes) and works as well as anything else. Wet lube does have its uses, especially the stickier more viscous kind when riding in wet weather. It will stay on better than most dry type of lubes.

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

DryFluid is head and shoulders above everything else I used (Motorex, Finishline, Muc-Off, Pedros...).

It's expensive but absolutely worth it.
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

drider85

by drider85

There are a lot of good lubes for general riding and in different conditions. I will clean in a ultra sonic wash at the shop then for going fast on race day I like Rock n Roll Gold or I have been playing with paraffin wax. Those seem to be the lowest drag.

Rick

by Rick

For decades I have been trying lubes and eventually became sort of a curmudgeon on the subject. They all have good points and bad points.
But then someone on this forum was recommending the Dumonde original lube, and so I tried it. It really is superior in just about every category I can think of.
http://dumondetech.com/portfolio/bicycl ... l-formula/

I am still not above squirting of my chain with WD-40, but the Dumonde really does a great job. And it smells good!

Razor

by Razor

Dumonde Tech (Original). Light, non-sticky and really quiets the chain. Pro Lube Gold is good too.

ITTY

by ITTY

I use the blue rock and roll. So far I really like it. It seems to attract a lot less grime than other lubes I have used.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Rick wrote:For decades I have been trying lubes and eventually became sort of a curmudgeon on the subject. They all have good points and bad points.
But then someone on this forum was recommending the Dumonde original lube, and so I tried it. It really is superior in just about every category I can think of.
http://dumondetech.com/portfolio/bicycl ... l-formula/

I am still not above squirting of my chain with WD-40, but the Dumonde really does a great job. And it smells good!

Dumonde Tech is one I have tried and like, still have a bottle. Still not head and shoulders above anything else and its more expensive than my current lube. With today's formulations its hard to make a bad lube.

logy

by logy

Ever tried car engine oil? This works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Collects too much dust. Used a solution of 1 part 40 weight to 4 parts Naphtha (to thin it for application). The Naphtha evaporates quickly leaving only the oil behind. It does make the chain very quiet but like all other wet lubes collects a lot of dust. It is cheap, if that is real important.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: deleted the quote. this is a reply.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com