Get Ready, Set, Lube!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Rock n roll lubes. I use the red one on my road bikes. I ride in the wet and it does not was off. I get 200-400 miles per application unless it is really wet.

FastforaSlowGuy

by FastforaSlowGuy

I switch lubes by season. Wet lubes in wet months. Dry lube in the heat of summer. Wet stays on longer when it is sloppy out and you gotta wipe the chain anyway. Big big fan of NFS. Heavy wet lube. Decently low friction. Stays on forever. Just quick wipe the chain after every ride. Clean and reapply every 300 miles.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

budgetweenie

by budgetweenie

For years I tried every type of dry lube and never found one which lasted more than a couple of hundred miles.

Now I use what I consider the best, a wet lube known as Chain-L No. 5 which:
a) lasts for at least a thousand miles per application and
b) gives silent operation that dry lubes can't

http://www.chain-l.com/

wojchiech

by wojchiech

+1 on Chain-L

If keeping a 'clean' chain is of concern, look elsewhere. Otherwise it is the best lube I've ever come across. After application I wipe the chain after the first couple subsequent rides and then the chain stays in about the same state until the next application. Lasts 1,000+ miles per application like budgetweenie said, works in all weather, and seems to make chains last longer too. I've gone from replacing chains every 2-3 months to twice a year. I buy a bottle every year or so.

tinozee

by tinozee

You can also get the T-9 16oz aerosol at West Marine for like $15.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

aerosols will spray at least 70% of the lube on places where is doesn't matter. a drip bottle is better.

also, wax is for candles.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

budgetweenie

by budgetweenie

Frankie - B wrote:aerosols will spray at least 70% of the lube on places where is doesn't matter.

Such as the brake track of your rear wheel... :(

GreenGoat93

by GreenGoat93

Gladstone, where I live has coal dust around the habour and the town is growing rapidly due to construction. SO we have stupid trucks dropping and spreading dirt everywhere and it ends up on the side of the road. I have to rinse and dry/lube my bike every 2 rides. The coal dust is only around the harbour though and if you ride to woop woop country it's much cleaner. I think dry lube should keep it clean. Best to lube before every ride I think
-Trek Madone 6 Series SSL 2012 with Sram Red 22 and American Classic Aero 420 wheels
-Bombrack Divide 2013
Also
Metho Everything!