Road Aero Bar Comfort

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

action09

by action09

New build approaching and considering getting flatter top aero bars like Zipp SL-70 or Enve SES Aero.

Does anyone have experience of the comfort level of these (un-taped) after a long ride 4hrs+? They look superb (IMO) but want to make sure my hands don't ache after.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Illuminate

by Illuminate

Hi,

I know you mentioned that you were intending to use them untaped - I can't report on that unfortunately.

I can report on the transition from a round bar to a flat top. I was previously using a Ritchey WCS round top bar. I'd get quite sore through the hands on longer rides even with double taping (I have quite big hands).

I changed over to a flatter top bar (http://itm.it/itm/products/bars/r-triango-wing/) and have been really happy with the result - no numb hands and the pressure is much more evenly spread out over the contact patch. On top, I run a gel insert (http://www.fizik.it/accessories/tri-gel-pad/bar-kit/) with a single layer of tape. From the shifter down, I run 2 layers of tape for better grip for sprinting (big hands).

It took a couple of rides to get the precise angle of the bars spot on but I haven't looked back since - very comfortable.

My best,

I

dunbar42

by dunbar42

I test rode a Specialized Venge with the S-Works version of the Zipp bar. The tops are really deep so it makes holding onto the tops quite a bit less comfortable since you can't really grip it very well. I don't think bar tape really has anything to do with it (you should run just enough tape so your wrists are supported while on the hoods.) I do like flat top bars and run aluminum ones on my bike but the aero road bars are a lot deeper across the top. I believe all 2015 Venges come with the S-Works aero road bar so you might want to head down to a Specialized dealer to get a feel for how the aero road bars feel in your hand. It also depends on how much time you spend on the tops. From the hoods and drops I don't think there is any difference.

sungod

by sungod

i've got the integrated cinelli ram 2, the flat area untaped

fwiw i take size xl mitts and really like the flat top, the shape is comfy on long rides and the large contact area avoids pressure points, i've had no problems with grip in the wet

but as above i'd try to get to a shop where you can get a feel for them and see how they fit your hands

Marin

by Marin

I have a taped flat top bar on one bike and a naked aero top bar (think 3t aeronova) on the other. I like the non-round sections on both. I rarely grab the tops - I'm more of a hoods and drops person - but when I do I find resting my palms on a flatter area is nicer.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Are you looking to run a Zipp Vuka or the SL-70 Aero or Ergo which is more egg shaped? I've run a Vuka, a Cinelli Ram as well as 3T Ergonova all without tape and some with. I like the flatter shape of the Vuka and found with a little tweaking it supported the wrists and palms a lot better than a round bar. I've also ridden it fully taped for a 13 Hour ride for comfort purposes, I found the untaped bar to be ok for shorter to medium rides on good roads but wanted a little cushion for the longer rides. I also like to ride without gloves and in summer found the bars slippery, wouldn't be an issue if you're always in gloves but something to think about.

I've gone back to an egg shaped bar, for the comfort but also as the reach and drop fit me better and I want to be able to tape the whole bar without it looking weird. The new 3T Aero bars also look pretty good.

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

I'm using the 3T AeroNova bars (after being on the ErgoNova bars for the last 2 years). Both are great but the bigger, flatter profile of the new AeroNova is much better I find, especially for climbing. No issues here at all.

Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

DuncanS

by DuncanS

+1. I've switched from 42cm ergonova to 40cm aeronova. Will never go back!

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

I've been running the Zipp Vuka Sprint bars since they came out, and bought the S-Works Aerofly bars for my beater Allez this spring as well. They are both very comfortable, and stiff. I never really spend much time on the tops, I am mostly on the hoods, and drops, but when I am on the tops they feel fine, and I almost never wear gloves, and I leave the tops uncovered. Both bars are very stiff as well. Specialized Win Tunnel data shows a 17sec over 40k advantage with the Aerofly over conventional bars, and I would say that is probably true with most aero bars since the shape is all very similar. Also the above poster is correct, all versions of the Venge are now shipping with the Aerofly for 2015.

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

I have the ENVE SES bars on my Noah Fast. I find them the best bars I have ever used for racing. If I was climbing a lot, I would maybe prefer a more "normal" bar, though. The flat section is quite deep, so if you have smaller hands like me, you could have a little difficulty getting a good grip when riding on the tops for a longer period. Also, the width on the top is only 37cm for a 42 cm bar. This I like a lot, as you get in a much more tucked position when riding, while still retain the wider stance when in the drops for a good leverage when sprinting etc.

illskittlz

by illskittlz

What about these bars? Anyone have experience in replica carbon bars?

ShutUpLegs4

by ShutUpLegs4

I use the Zipp Vuka Sprint bars untapped and they are way more comfortable than other round bars I've used. I don't get any pain in the palm of my hands like I used to.

kode54

by kode54

DuncanS wrote:+1. I've switched from 42cm ergonova to 40cm aeronova. Will never go back!

what is the measure C-C on the top of the bars by the hoods. the 40cm is C-C on the bottom ends as 3T measures it.

thx.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Gonna put in another vote for 3T Aeronova. With untaped aero center section.

It's probably been mentioned elsewhere, but due to the longer reach of the Aeronovas, you may want to consider a stem 10-20mm shorter.
My Ergonovas took a 110 stem, but for my Aeronovas I had to use a 90 to get the same hand position.

Philbar72

by Philbar72

Zipp SL-70 aero for me. wonderfully comfortable. beautiful to look at. save a couple of watts as well... :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com