Extralite Octaramp RC2 or B.O.R chainrings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Method01

by Method01

Does anyone have experience with the Extralite Octaramp RC2 chainrings? With 94g for a 50/34 set they are very light.
I'm also considering B.O.R 2X - 110BCD which weigh 117g.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

This is interesting! If i would take an example of Rotors Q-rings vs Aero Q-rings. The Q-rings will not be produced anymore after stock is out.
It will only be Aero Q-rings (this is only for the large ring!)
This since the hollow rings flex more. I don't know if the oval ring(s) is more prone to suffer from unwanted flex than a round one.
Perhaps a round handles better!?
I have no clue!
But it seems a very light chainring would be more prone to flex and wear out.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Qman

by Qman

I've used the Extralites for a season. They are exactly the advertised weight and have high quality design and construction. They shift well and I've had no problems with them. The ramps seem to be effective at getting the chain up onto the big ring. The black coating is starting to wear off the teeth on mine, as one would expect after a season of riding. You can also get them with a bronzed colored hard coating that may last longer. I don't know if anyone has tried Di2 with these rings. Being so light, they aren't as laterally stiff as Di2 specific rings so they may not work very well with that system.

I haven't tried the B.O.R. but I did notice that they are listed by the manufacturer as "Di2 ready". If you tend to be hard on equipment, or are running Di2, then they might be a better choice than the Extralites.

Method01

by Method01

Thanks for the input! For the weight I absolutely have to go for the extralites but maybe I have more confidence in the German quality.. BOR's are also a lot cheaper and still quite light.

Or are there other options around 110-120g?

KB

by KB

Method01 wrote:Thanks for the input! For the weight I absolutely have to go for the extralites but maybe I have more confidence in the German quality. ...

I've bought a few things from Extralite and have had no quality problems. Sergio Riva's very uncomplicated to deal with.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I've been using the extralite rings for the past 2-3 seasons. No issues (still going strong). I had used the older ones a number of years ago and they were awful. Whatever they did when they switched from the gold to the black rings seems to have worked.
Speedplay is the devil!

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Do you want the 50/34 or you could go the new mid compact Octaramp MC 52/36 fromExtralite at 98gm

Qman

by Qman

Alternatives:
KCNC Cobweb, 112g for 50/34
Praxis Clover, 124g for 50/34 (although some people have said theirs are heavier)
TA Syrius, 118g for 50/34 (according to one source on WW - haven't seen an official number)

To see how the Extralite's look installed, you can take a look at them on my custom Specialized cranks:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=128493
You can see them in the last couple of photos.

What cranks are you putting the rings on?

Method01

by Method01

Thanks everyone. I'm going for a 50/34 on a Rotor 3D+ (with p2m)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com