NewUltimate Evo road bar - acceptable weight deviation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CGT

by CGT

Hello guys,

So I just picked up a NewUltimate Evo carbon handlebar from my lbs. I have the 400 mm wide, matte carbon finish version, which I would have thought would be the lightest version of them all (ranging from 400 to 440 mm, available in matte carbon, gloss carbon or white). Anyway, the claimed weight is 170 grams (http://newultimate.com/handlebars/evo-race) and my handlebar tipped the scale at 199,3 grams, or 17,2% overweight.

To me, this is a bit too high a deviation from claimed weight, but what is your take on it? Where would you draw the line between acceptable and unacceptable overweight?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I think the listing on the New Ultimate site hasn't been updated in a while. About a year ago we had them listed on our site at 180 grams, but 6 months ago they increased in weight and we updated our weight on them to 195 grams. (which is right on par with where yours is.)

CGT

by CGT

Hi Jason, and thanks for the input. Too bad I didn't check out your info before I bought the bar, or I would probably have chosen another one. Ironically, I did look at your test (http://fairwheelbikes.com/c/forums/topi ... ar-review/) before selecting the NewUltimate, but you must have tested their bar while it was still lighter. Do you know why they chose to increase the weight?

This leaves me with the question of what to do. In your opinion, is there a better choice in the same price range (sub 300 USD)? Ideally around 180 grams or lower.

djconnel

by djconnel

Funny how manufacturers sites tend to "forget" to update claimed mass when they beef out components. POC did this with the CPSC version of the Octal. Sell Italia with the SLR (worse still, the label was on the saddle). Deda with its Al bars after the fatigue tests were introduced, requiring thicker Al. So many examples...

fitty4

by fitty4

my first evo (shiny) was 181 gr 42cm, next one matte also 42cm (but more like 41,5'ish) was 178 gr bought in july 2014, guess I was lucky

Starter

by Starter

I would never ride a 195g bar with a rider weight limit.

195g is definitely a light bar, but honestly... Easton, Ritchey, 3t, and Enve all make bars weighing around the same or less, and none of them have weight limits. Ditto for many other manufacturers. Personally, I just don't like to see weight limits start popping up on bars until I'm into some serious "boutique-brand light" territory- sub 180g at the minimum. Just my opinion.

I don't mean to offend Jason or any of the other good folks at Fair Wheel- New Ultimate does make some other stuff I think is great, and I think they're right to carry the brand. For what it's worth, Fair Wheel also carries the Enve bars...
Oof.

CGT

by CGT

Then again, if they have beefed up the bar from 180 grams to 200, it ought to have strengthen the bar. Perhaps the weight limit is as updated as their claimed weight. The worst thing about NewUltimate is that they don't appear to have an e-mail address...

mjainoz

by mjainoz

How much of a riders physical weight goes on a bar? What's maximum flex? Out of the saddle climbing maybe? Sprinting for victory? If so that's a strength and techniques issue.

Ever had a bar break in you hands. I have, in a race. For a few grams... Be safe.
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com