BMC SLR01 - 2014 vs. pre-2014

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

savechief

by savechief

The ad copy claims that the 2014 BMC SLR01 is 30% stiffer and 10% more vertically compliant than the previous version. I'd like to hear the opinions of anybody that has ridden both a 2014 SLR01 and a pre-2014 (2013, preferably) version to find out what they think.
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

clarkson

by clarkson

I don't think I can objectively quantify percentages through my legs, but the new frame is a MUCH more solid platform, both through the front end and pedaling input. I found the old SLR very comfy, and the new one feels about the same. The rigidity is what I notice most between the two.

Philbar72

by Philbar72

Ridden the 2012 version and its incredibly comfortable, the 2014 version is just as comfy but sprints and climbs better and is defintely more stiff. in terms of handling the new one also feels more solid, and it really is an outstanding bike. some of the descents i do on my classics training rides, are very bumpy, and so far the new frame tracks really nicely round the debris!

to be honest i've also tried the SLR02, and that whilst not as absolutely comfortable, is a fantastic frame for the money. in terms of the numbers, its not that much heavier, and is stiffer than the older slr01.