Read/See who is calling/texting/emailing while riding

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nickf

by nickf

If you had a android phone i would suggest the moto360 watch. Love mine. Can read text, email, see incoming calls, and reply to them with voice through the watch.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Can you not group your contacts and then assign a different ringtone to them so you know if it's work or personal?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

for calling some phones speak the name of the caller. It's a terrible name recognition software usually, but i think my parent's android has this feature.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

A very complete and thorough solution, but not exactly cheap if you don't already have some of it, would be a Garmin Edge 1000 & a bluetooth headset like this:

aaric

by aaric

Aftershokz headphones and ringtones is what I used to use.

milkbaby

by milkbaby

I just give everybody important their own individual ringtone.

MoPho

by MoPho

I also ride while "on the clock" and bought myself an eCase which is waterproof and has a clear window that allows me to pretty quickly see who is calling (have to pull out of pocket though, but it goes into and out of the pocket very easily). You can operate the phone through the screen too. It also has a built in headphone jack so I run an ear piece to my right ear. If I am not in a position to look at it I let the call go to voicemail and then use iPhone Siri to retrieve the message (or texts) through the ear piece as soon as I can. And as mentioned you can give individual ringtones to people of importance
I am sure someone will point to using a Ziplock bag to do the same thing, but I found that the bag gets trashed too fast and you can't see through it after only a couple of rides. I have about 10k miles on the eCase so far.
Surely not a perfect solution but less expensive than getting a Garmin 1000, etc. and you need something to put your phone, credit card, cash etc. in anyway

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/e-case/is ... -5/product

atakaoka

by atakaoka

most BT headsets only play the ring tone set on the headset not the set on the cell. in case of android.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

There are apps that change the ring tone on the fly to announce who is calling so you don't even have to look at the screen.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Pebble smartwatch works great for me

Dammit

by Dammit

One phone for work, one for personal, put one rear left, one rear right - easy way to tell if you need to answer it.

That way you get to frisbee the work one into a draw at 18:00 hours on Friday and get it back out on Monday morning, also.

donham1

by donham1

Thanks for all of the responses! I will look into the Pebble. I really want to be able to leave the phone in the ziplock in my back pocket, and just be able to glance down at my wrist or handlebar for a quick look to see who is buzzing in to decide whether to stop or not.

Starter

by Starter

I'd get an Apple watch when it drops. I swore the thing looked stupid and I'd never get one, but since then my Polar has been slowly winding down, and it appears the Apple watch will do everything and more than just about anything on the market. For a pretty competitive price. In my opinion, I think there's a healthy shot that the Apple watch will make standalone fitness computers and HRMs obsolete, much like the iPhone (and other smart phones) made standalone car navigation modules obsolete. And obviously it will also give text and call alerts.

For what it's worth, if someone says they absolutely need to see texts or calls on the bike, I don't think judgment or a lecture is necessarily in order. We don't know what they do for work. They could be a doctor, or a fireman, or a police officer. Lives might depend on them getting this info. And even if that's not the case, I don't think glancing at one's wrist to see who a text or a call is from constitutes a safety hazard any more than glancing at one's wrist to check the time. That said, if it's a call or text they need to respond to, I'd hope they'd pull over to do so.
Oof.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Yes I'm buying 2 Apple watches as soon as they drop..
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Getter

by Getter

The Pebble is pretty cool for what it does. They recently lowered the price to $100...making it a bargain compared to the rest of the smart watches.