Read/See who is calling/texting/emailing while riding

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I'm. Buying 3 Apple watches

russianbear

by russianbear

Haters gonna hate

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

totoboa

by totoboa

weenie wrote:Pretty sure voice apple voice over announces the caller id.
And I do hope that you indeed don't read text/take calls while riding. Cause i see that often, including that guy that was hit by a bus last week in front of me (through red light, headphones, texting. nice.)

Do you have pics ? Since we all have smart phones.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Take the advice. I have had two bad accidents, due to not paying better attention and I am not an amateur cyclist.

Surprises come at you at any given time, hence the name - surprises.

If anything, get the 1000 and deal with the notifications after and get the REMOTE, so you don't take your hands off the bars.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Starter wrote:For what it's worth, if someone says they absolutely need to see texts or calls on the bike, I don't think judgment or a lecture is necessarily in order. We don't know what they do for work. They could be a doctor, or a fireman, or a police officer.

point is we're concerned about their safety. A doctor, police officer or fireman should recognise even more acutely the damage distracted road users now suffer due to paying more attention to their phone.

And in Victoria at least police will book riders on their bike and taking a call. So there's a legal issue for some too.

Not a lecture. Just a desire to not lose any Weenies. To the law or life in general.

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

I am in a similar situation (work at home, and squeeze an hour or two in during work hours if I know I can "get away" with it)

I don't go outside riding, as if the phone rings, it 100% means I need need to be at a computer with decent internet connection speeds to deal with the person who's contacted me, so I'll do a ride on the rollers.

I've used 2 different methods in the past (or a combination of both)...

1) Setup different Ring tones/Text alert tones for different people.
2) Use "Mr Number" to block all calls that are not from worky people for the time you're riding.

Of course that depends if who is calling/texting is coming from predicable phone numbers.

In the end most the time I was missing Skype message though, so I created a dedicated work Skype account for work people.

Anyway, now if I get a buzz or a bell, I know its work related.

Another option is a dedicated work phone/sim-card?