Campagnolo Type B/C -D-E chainrings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stormur

by stormur

Rebuild CX rig with Campagnolo, left only change of chainring in crank … and have problem …

Depends on source chainring which I need is described as D or C … :noidea:

Crank : Campagnolo Athena 11spd UltraTorque compact(50/34) carbon ver. current 50t ring is FC-AT150

And now, I considered Stronglight CT, Miche SuperType11 and TA Specialties chainrings , plus Campy CX11 46t (spare for cx carbon 11spd CX crank (has to be non-silver ) )…

Questions are :

1. Which type of chainrings are compatible with my crank ?

2. Is 46T Campagolo CX 11spd chainring compatible with my crank ? ( I have impression that 2011-> PT CT chainrings are same as pre 2011 UT … )

3. DO exist 44T outer chainring for my crank ?
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

120+viewers and no one … ? :(
Mark Twain

c50jim

by c50jim

I don't know what my fit your Athena crank specifically but have a few comments from using other Campy compact cranks over the years.

I haven't tried 10 speed rings on 11 speed bikes but 11 speed rings work fine on 10 speed and I had a bike that started with 8 speed Record and ended with 10 with the same cranks so suspect that you can use both 10 or 11 speed rings and they'll work.

I think the newer Ultra Torque cranks all use the same offset centre bolt standard so the 46 cross ring should work fine. I used an FSA 46 that my LBS increased the hole size to work with the Campy crank and it worked fine for years. I also switched an old Centaur that had 110 bolts to a new 48 Stronglight or TA ring drilled for Campy that my LBS redrilled and it worked fine too. (I needed the 48 to get my S&S coupled bike into its box without removing the drive side crank arm.)

stormur

by stormur

It's not so easy ;) offset of bolts is 1 thing, bolts compatibility 2nd ( drilled/not chainrings - it changes during years ) .

From that what I gathered and what is possible "the truth" : Type C is UT up to 2010 & all PT, Type D is "2011 onwards UT" and Type E is new 4.-arms UT.

I ordered already new chainrings : Miche Super 11, as they're described as "UT before 2011" - I'll see when arrived is that truth, or other kind of truth ;)
Mark Twain