Which framset: Emonda SL, Cervelo R3, or Boardman SLS 9.8?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BigPoser

by BigPoser

Hi All,

I've been lurking for a while and finally registered. This is my first post after getting lots of good info on the forum. I'm looking at upgrading my current frame and I came across the Emonda SL. The geometry is almost identical as the R3 and I have heard nothing but good things regarding both. I do like the price of the SL over the R3, but have always liked having something that is less well known. Not that Cervelo is not well known, just not one of the big 3. I have to admit that I'm also looking at a Boardman SLS 9.8 frame too which looks amazing and priced the same as the R3.

Does anyone have any experience with any or all of these that I've mentioned? How do the rides compare? I don't plan on racing, but do like the occasional fondo and do lots of group rides.

I'm currently on the mend since I tore a couple ligaments in my thumb, so I have a couple months to decide. My LBS carries all 3 which is great.

Any advice is appreciated.

Brandon

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Which frame is the lightest, this is WW after all

From a real world perspective which of those frames fits you the best, and as your LBS has all 3 do a test ride on all 3 and then decide.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

russianbear

by russianbear

Test ride if you can. Also keep in mind if there are specific cranks you want to use it might be easier on some framesets than others. I'd go for the R3 though.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

If you are considering a lesser know brand, why not a NeilPryde BuraSL? Lighter than both the Trek and Cervelo (I am not familiar with Boardman), and you mind find them at very good prices.

Check fit first. I think it is a bit lower than both.

ostenfel

by ostenfel

Test ride, then test ride again. I thought I would love the S3 after putting 25000mi on my S1. It wasn't all I dreamed. I had to convince myself that it was ok I really liked a Trek. Cause I did. I ended up blowing my budget and buying an Emonda SLR6 with Di2. Have to say I've been real happy with my Cervelo.

BigPoser

by BigPoser

My LBS had a 2013 R3 and a SL6 on the floor so I would able to get a pretty good idea of how they would ride. They would have to order the Boardman. Through my research I have found that the SL weighs in at 1050g in a 56 cm, the R3 is 917g and the Boardman comes in at about 850 (from Competitive Cyclist). I will be putting my Chorus group set from my current bike along with my Archetype wheels. Trying to get into the 15-15.5lb range and I think that it's certainly possible with all three.

I think that I would be happy on either of them, and I really like the price of the SL, but after hearing about some 25c clearance issues on the front wheel, it does raise an eyebrow. Plus its one of the big 3 and I'm usually drawn to things that most people don't have. But you can't deny the great reputation that Trek has and the killer customer service.

Here is the link to the Boardman:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/board ... MATCAR-XXS

eric

by eric

Competitive Cyclist lists the same weight for all sizes of the Boardman. That's not going to be correct unless you're on the smallest size. And the fork is 390g! Oink oink. OTOH it's BB30 so you have a wider selection of cranks than the Cervelo.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

No clearance issues on the Emonda SL frame, at least up to 25mm tires. I'm building one right now. Have 25c Conti 4000s II clinchers on it at the moment with standard with Campy Neutron rims. Going to fit full fenders on it for winter. Will test these same tires on wider rims for clearance soon but it certainly has more than my Colnagos. It's a nice frame. Clean lines and sound geometry, for me at least. Will have to see how nicely the Campy stuff plays with the BB90 bottom bracket. I hate any non-threaded bottom brackets. The manufacturers will say they're fine. Until they're not. So I'll try to do an extra careful job with the install.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BigPoser

by BigPoser

Thanks for the replies all. They all seem like very nice frames. The SL is winning in the price dept, and the geometry is almost identical to the R3. The Boardman wins out since they aren't any around my area. Not only that but I hear nothing but great things about them. The R3 has a amazing history as being a fine ride in just about every category.

I'm torn for sure.