Sram Slickwire vs Dura Ace 9000 cables

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ivonenand

by ivonenand

Hi guys!
I'm assembling a Red 22 equipped bike and I'm having some difficulty selecting the right shifting cables. Red comes with "slickwire" teflon coated cables, which I believe are re-branded jagwire's. I haven't used these cables yet so I cannot comment on their fricion/durability.

I have however read several reviews of the Dura Ace 9000 groupset which has new polymer coated cables which supposedly have much lower friction that PTFE coated cables and thus really improve the shifting performance.

So what I would like to ask is if anyone has any experiences with these two cable types and could make a comment if these 9000 series cables are really better that SRAM/jagwire's.

Thanks in advance,
Ivo

Marin

by Marin

I have experience with Force 22 cables. The coating came off in flakes from threading them through the Double Taps and caused a lot of friction. I went with Ultegra cables instead. No idea if Force and Red are similar.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rijndael

by rijndael

I would have thought the Red22 cables were Gore, since I thought they bought them a few years ago.

06SpiceRed

by 06SpiceRed

All of the bikes we own that are mechanical are running with 9000 cables, which includes my cross bike which is the only one that is SRAM equipped group.

Im a shimano guy (on all my bikes but my cross bike) but went with SRAM for cross. I had an extra set of 9000 cables around so I figured why not use them......now Im wondering why I never used them sooner! They made the shifting smooth and precise, definitely worth it IMO.
A bunch of carbon, with a bunch of electronic parts