San Marco Aspide open WIDE???

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

prebsy

by prebsy

Hi,
I saw the aspide comes in a wide. I haven't seen a measurement for the saddle on san marco's website or it available from any retailers. Does anyone have this saddle or know where I can get one??? I've checked all my usual euro and USA online retailers but not even a mention of the wide.

I'm currently a 155mm specialized Romin but having broke 4 of them I'm looking for a change of pace. The shape looks perfect and the weight on their carbon saddles is really good. I'm not a fat boy just have a wide bottom, 1.83M, 70kg and I ride a lot of drop.

hoopes

by hoopes

Aspide wide's are here and you can also buy them here

http://www.sellesanmarco.it/en/products ... rowwide=91

and you can buy some here, too.

http://www.gambacicli.com/en/catalogsea ... m_store=it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prebsy

by prebsy

I guess the lack of availability is because it's new for 2015. It's seems like all the dutch shops have great prices on them but none will ship to the US.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Anyone using the wide model? Older Aspide Composite is my fav currently, but on long rides I'm feeling the edges. Wide might be perfect for me. The wider cutout instead of the centre groove could be the ticket for opening the hip angle also.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Funny, I tired one of the Aspide FX Carbons and although it looked really cool and the slight "saddle" shape was good, the edges were too abrupt, especially on the inner edges of the cutout. I switched to Romin Pro's 143 and couldn't be happier. Now have them on all my bikes. Haven't broken one yet, and I'm heavier than you @Presby. You say you ride with a lot of drop... is your weight quite forward on the saddle? Is the seatpost clamping down more towards the rear of the rails as well? Just curious how and where your Romins broke if I may ask.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

prebsy

by prebsy

I've broken the romins in multiple ways but none were on the rails. I race crits and smash potholes and do all sorts of generally poor things for bicycles. Usually it is the saddle body snapping, with the cutout area being the most vulnerable, and I am certainly not the only person to suffer these issues.

I am actually running an aspide right now after a long search since i first posted this thread almost a year ago. The reasons I like the aspide over the romin are the reduced curvature front to back but also left to right. I find having less drop off on the edges better for me. I do miss the size of the romin cut out but I don't plan on getting married anytime soon...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

From the shape you say you like it sounds like a Specialized Toupe may be to your liking and readily available but if you've been breaking the Romins then I'm not sure you'd have much better luck with the Toupe since they're basically the same construction. Smashing potholes with an unweighted saddle is never an easy thing for saddles to withstand. Not sure the Aspide would stand up any better quite frankly.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

prebsy

by prebsy

I'm not sure diagnosing what saddle i should be riding is adding much to this thread. i'd love to hear if anyone has experience with the new aspide wide as well.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

prebsy wrote:The reasons I like the aspide over the romin are the reduced curvature front to back but also left to right.

Good info prebsy, much obliged. I also prefer saddles that are relatively flat side to side, like the Aspide, or the Fizik Antares, although the latter doesn't work quite as well in a low position for me. Looking forward to trying the "wide".

importbible

by importbible

I just bought one to replace my aspide narrow non open, i'll go for a ride tomorrow with an update

importbible

by importbible

So the main reason I went for the wider aspide is because during my bike fit - the fitter recommended a 143 saddle for my sit bones. When I purchased the Aspide I didn't bother to check the width but it turns out it is quite narrow.

I started getting soft tissue pain between my sit bones and so I decided to get the wide open version. Went for a longer ride a couple of days ago and despite not having the seat centered I had 0 pain between my sit bones after a 3 hour ride. I felt planted and had more support for my bum during the ride. I can throw up some pictures if you want.
Last edited by importbible on Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Always post gear pics. Please.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

HillRPete wrote:Always post gear pics. Please.

Haha :thumbup:
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

importbible

by importbible

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/ikyRp

Having hell of time centering the damn thing cause the graphic is crooked.

prebsy

by prebsy

looks great, what's the weight?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com