SLR Kit Carbonio Saddle with Carbon Rails (Oval)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Champ5000

by Champ5000

All

I have resently bought a Cervélo R3 Framekit.

I am in the progress of building the bike and it is now time for choosing a seatpost.

I had set my mind for a 3T Ionic - however it is described only to work with 7 x 7mm. rails.

I have a SLR saddle from last year with oval carbon rails - to my understanding the rail size is 7 x 9.6mm.

I have until now used the saddle on a Thomson Elite seatpost - made for 7 x 7mm. rails with no problem.

The Thomson seatpost clamp the rails from top and bottom.

Am I just lucky that the Thomson seatpost and the oval rails had worked until now?

Almost all the seatpost the I’m looking ad are described only to work with rail size 7 x 7m.

Could you please share your knowledge within this area with me?

Maybe I can choose a seatpost made for 7 x 7mm. rails as long as it clamps from top and bottom?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ross

by ross

Thomson Masterpiece/Elite both work, also 3T Doric/Dorico and of course Ritchey sell a 7x9.6mm clamp for the one bolt models such as the WCS

Champ5000

by Champ5000

Hi Ross

Thank you for your quick reply.

Do you think a Deda Drittissimo or Black Series by Tune also will work with the oval rails?

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Anything that clamps from top and bottom is likely to work as you said. So I think that Tune post will work fine. You can also often modify the clamps on a side-clamping post intended for 7x7 so that they fit your saddle. You just need to use sand paper wrapped around the rail to enlarge the clamp channel and get the shape right. It won't work for every design, but it's worked fine for me with an Eriksen Ti post and a Selle Italia saddle with 7x9.5mm rails, and also a Specialized Venge post with the latest Selle Italia rails that are closer to 7x8.5 elliptical (originally the SI rails were this size, then a few years ago they went to a shape that was taller ~7x9.6mm with flat sides, lately they seem to have changed back with the S2 rails to 7x8.5).