Canyon CF SLX and campagnolo crankset compatibility?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gb103

by gb103

Hi, just noticed the canyon CF SLX 80 Superlight with 80th anniversary groupset and obermeyer wheels. I would like to purchase the frame separately but still put the anniversary groupset on the frame.

Is there a problem regarding pressfit bottom brackets and campagnolo crankset ie. creaking and campag adaptors working loose? I know campagnolo have a new crankset over-torque for oversized bottom brackets, but a like the matt finish of the anniversary groupset. I have sent canyon an email but they response it will take a few days to get back to me.

I must admit my understanding of all these bottom brackets is poor, all my frames (cervelo R3, R3SL and colnago EPQ) all English bottom brackets.

Any info much appreciated.

gb103

by gb103

Just received this from canyon:

"We recommend using a small amount of Loctite on the press fit bb cups when installing them into the frame. Our technicians in Germany use a similar product for original installation."

Obviously with cost of the frame and anniversary groupset alone will be around the £3,500 mark is this a long term solution?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micropox

by micropox

I have no issues with my canyon ultimate cf slx with campy cranks. Been using it for more than a year now. Mostly on criterium course. I use loctite 641. Make sure to clean the BB and the cups to remove any grease/oil residues. I know Loctite 641 will not cure on carbon surface. But the loctite will cure on the campy's metal bb cups. Enough to augment the press-fit bb.

carlcurry

by carlcurry

Is the Canyon a PF30 BB? Seems the Praxis solution might be good for you. I researched this for a Cervelo BBRight and did end up with an Over-Torque crankset. The Over-Torque is fine for my Record group, but one of the highlights of the 80th anniversary group is the unique finish.

https://praxiscycles.com/product/conv-bb-campagnolo/

Alternatively, seems like the adapter cups have mixed results - good mechanic following the recommendations gets good results, mechanic who's in a hurry/takes shortcuts not so much.
Bianchi Infinito CV, Cervelo R3, Giant TCR, Trek Domane SLR, Specialized Allez

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

micropox wrote:Alternatively, seems like the adapter cups have mixed results - good mechanic following the recommendations gets good results, mechanic who's in a hurry/takes shortcuts not so much.

:up:

You've got it!

In fact Campagnolo have been recommending Loctite 641 on a correctly prepared and activated surface for two years now in BB30 PF situations. The carbon surface needs to be clean and grease free and the activator (Loctite 7471 or 7649) applied ... see

http://hybris.cms.henkel.com/medias/sys ... 613598.pdf

for full information.

A further point to note - 2015 BB adaptors are now slightly differently shaped to previous versions - the tapered end with an o-ring (originally introduced to make press-fit "starting" easier) has gone now - the OD of the current adapters is, apart from the first 2mm of the adaptor introduced into the frame, constant now. This should increase surface area contact and help to resolve issues with movement / creaking.

BB30 and it's press-fit children are still all troublesome in so far as in engineering terms, they require two different companies often using two very different manufacture techniques in two (sometimes very) different materials to hit very tight tolerances at a price that end-users are willing to pay ... but the use of materials like Loctite 641 can to some extent overcome manufacturing shortcomings. Press fit is still a poor idea in straight engineering terms in this application as the cups will have an inherent tendency to try and "walk" in the frame ...
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

sawyer

by sawyer

Useful information - thanks

Pressfit looks better and can be quite a bit lighter, but other than that it's a PITA
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com