Second-hand Shimano 9000 and 2014 new Campagnolo Record

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

9x12man

by 9x12man

This is less of a which is better, but what would other people do in the same situation question. I run mechanical super record on my current bike. 3 sets of wheels all with chorus 11 speed cassettes. I'm building up another bike and had assumed that, because of my wheels being campy, that I would simply build up the bike with the new campy record mechanical. Job done.

However. I've been doing some research and it looks like with Shimano 11sp, you can run a campagnolo cassette with little or no problems (using the right chain). This raises the possibility of me buying a shimano 9000 setup second hand. This would save me a considerable amount of cash that could then be put on a stages power meter.

I guess the questions are:

1. Do the cassettes inter operate nowadays?
2. Would shimano 9000 be close or as good as the new record mech? The tech does now look remarkably similar.

If anyone has any knowledge on this, it's greatly appreciated!

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Yes, the 11-speed cassettes are completely compatible.

Some people will say that Record or DA chains are the best. Personally I use KMC because I want a link, not some fancy pin setting system. It works fine.

The 2015 redesign of the shifters and derailleurs by Campy looks interesting. The same technology can be had in Chorus. Record and SR are simply ways to lighten your wallet.

I cannot do the Shimano - Campy comparison, but if I were you I'd be comparing to Chorus costwise.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c50jim

by c50jim

One of the things you might consider is how the two groups work. Do you like the Shimano shift both levers or Campy's shift only the inner lever and the button? I never was able to get used to the brake lever moving on me as I was using it on switchback downhills. Also, will you be able to adapt to riding the two different shift mechanisms or will you reach for the wrong lever?

Personally, I'd stick with one brand, whichever you prefer.

On price, have you looked at Campy cost from the UK sites like Ribble? I also agree that Chorus is as good as Record. I have two Chorus 11 bikes and two Record 11 bikes and really can't tell the difference between them. Most of the weight saving is in the cassette and the total weight difference is pretty small.

sawyer

by sawyer

@9x12man I have a bike with 9000 and SR cassette - it works perfectly

The big thing is lever shape. After nearly 10 years on Campagnolo I find the DA hoods huge ... was on Shimano in the early 2000s but the hands have moved on ;-)
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

jimborello

by jimborello

The same here, I couldnt get used to Shimanos shifters and lack of feedback, and went back to Campy after a couple of weeks. Try them first before buying them.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It seems the new Campa SR is very close to Shimano DA 9000 FD with the longer lever arm. But i'd guess Campa is not made to be in 4 positions (1:1, 1:2 / 2:1, 2:2) !?

If you'd use STI 9001 shifters instead of STI 9000, you can really shorten reach quite a bit.
Campa and Shimano shifters are close to same price, but Shimano DA 9000 FD and RD is alot cheaper than Campa SR 2015.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

efeballi

by efeballi

I would vote for Campag. For commonality between bikes (if something breaks, cannibalize another) and not to have a Shimagnolo moment, that is, hitting the lever behind the brake lever and downshift when you're trying to upshift.
Also the new DA shifters snap off shift cable heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

I was a Campy used for year. From 10 speed to 11 speed transition, etc. Loved it. Never liked the old (7800 era) shimano.

When the 7900/6700 shimano came out I found it much better. But, still not great.

Then I tried a Di2 setup and really liked it. Shifter shape was so much better and the brake lever doesn't move when shifting. I now have 10 speed Di2 and 11 Speed Di2 on my various road and cx bikes. My wife has a mix of Di2 and Campy 11 bikes.

It used to be that Di2 was the only thing that could get me off a Campy setup. But, even now, the 9000/6800 levers are actually quite nice. It's hard to go wrong really.

Having the ability to swap 11 speed campy/shimano cassettes is really nice. I have some older wheels that can't be converted to Shimano 11, but luckily I have Campy freehubs available. I wish there was an easy workable solution for my 3 sets of DA7850 tubulars though. Those are stuck in 10 speed for now.

willieboy

by willieboy

You will be able the use both 11 speed without any issues. I have a Chorus 11 bike and a Ultegra 6870 DI2 11 speed bike and switch between Shimano and Campagnolo wheels/cassettes without issue. Small rear derailleur adjustment but two minutes and your smooth. I use Chorus 11 speed chains.

I can't speak to your second question. I can say I like the Shimano hoods very much. Love the feel of my Campy hoods and mechanical set up. The Ultegra DI2 is really nice as well. More of a luxury for me. Wanted to try electric and glad I did.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com