Shimano Wide Shoe Query

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

Hi All

I'm wondering if anyone could give some feedback on the Shimano wide shoe versions. I'm looking at trying out the R171 in a wide version when it becomes available at my LBS. My foot is about 100mm at the widest point due to the knuckle of my small toe sticking out. I currently have Giro Factor ACC shoes but after around 2 hours they turn into torture devices, and unfortunately the wide version of these are not available in Australia (can import them but they are over $350 :shock: ) I have also tried the Specialized Expert 2014 but they also hurt my feet. I do have some older Specialized that I use in foul weather and they have always been fine...possibly the older Spesh shoes were a bit wider and I think the material is a bit softer and has stretched to accommodate my Hobbit feet.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

upside

by upside

My forefoot measured 104.. which is considered wide. I had a pair of the wide versions and after a season they stretched and had movement in the foot. I went back to the regular size and I was OK with that. The one thing with Shimano shoes is they seem to run one size big and the toe box is wide. Hope this helps. :P :P :P

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I was not a fan of the Shimano wide shoes.

The shoes I had - R320 - did not have a rigid wide sole. Rather, it appeared that Shimano used a regular width outer sole and slapped a semi-rigid foam sole on top of that to give a wide foot bed. The result was that the sole would bend when torqued, and I did not like that.