Cervelo RCA Crankset Options for Campagnolo Groupset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rowls

by rowls

Hello - looking for some advice. I am thinking of purchasing Cervelo RCA - I notice that the bottom bracket takes a BBright bottom bracket - which leads to a Rotor type crankset. Wondering what my other options are. I normally run on Campagnolo Groupset, but would embrace a compatible but different Crankset - I have googled a lot and have come up with Ridea and Rotor, there has to be more options.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

It will take bb30 cranks.......all SRAM except red, all Quarq pm bb30, go to forums.cervelo.com and search for answers. Lots of info and choices. Bbright.net has a chart with info.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Permon

by Permon

Why not Campagnolo Ultra or Over Torque crankset?
They are one of best....light, stiff, super bearings.
If you use Loctite filler, the cups stays in and calm.

highdraw

by highdraw

The RCA...very nice choice btw is what is called BBright Pressfit as opposed to the rare and spendy R5CA which uses a more obscure version of BBright called Direct Fit. Campy press in cups are available for BBright Pressfit to downside the bores to Campy bearing OD thereby using standard Campy UltraTorque bearings which are pressed onto Campy UT halfshaft spindles. Campy press fit cups aren't known for their reliability on narrower shell BB's like BB/PF30 because bearings reside outside the press of the cups into the shell. This is not the case with BBright Pressfit with much wider shell whereby the cups press inside the shell where the Campy bearings are better supported. So BBright adaptation of Campy UT cranks tend to solid. Be sure to download BBright's user manual PDF which specifies the appropriate formula of Loctite to use.

Come on back and review the bike when you get her built. Cervelo RCA + Campy = bliss

PS: you can also build with Campy OverTorque without press in cups but I personally am not a fan of Campy OverTorque because it is a pressfit spline with special tools and I much prefer the UT design.

rowls

by rowls

I was thinking of trying using a different crankset than campagnolo, compatible with the rca and campagnolo

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Many have success with Praxisworks rings on Campy. They fit standard bolt holes so you are good to go with SRAM, rotor, other cranks. Many options for bbright.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

I'm using THM Clavicula cranks with a THM BBRight bottom bracket on my RCA. They work well with either Campy SR mechanical or EPS. PM me if you have any questions on the THM setup.

highdraw

by highdraw

Rowls,
A bunch of different cranks will bolt to your BBright and any 11 and 10s crank will shift Campy just fine.
So if you want to move away from a Campy crank...not sure why you would because UT is just a great crank for this application...but say for a Power Meter or you want to stick with a 30mm spindle, you have many options to pick from. You can also adapt a 24mm spindle DA crank but many believe this would be sacrilege on a Campy bike. ;)

uraqt

by uraqt

Hey,

I am not sure the Rca is direct fit, I think the 1st one R5ca was but the dropped direct fit with the next one. Also tons of people have had issues with the UT cups, people have said that Cervelo is saying the cups are not made correctly and are "not supported"

I have installed campy OverTorque on my R5 but haven't ridden it yet, and its a close fit on the non drive side. The cost of extra tools does suck.

C

goodboyr

by goodboyr

RCA is not direct fit. Same bb as all other cervelos now.

sedluk

by sedluk

The THM cranks are my favorite and work well with the THM BBright BB. I have also used the Ax Lightness crank with the THM BB.

rowls

by rowls

Narrowed it down to cnc type crankset maybe rotor or ridea and running 10 speed campagnolo - what is a good bb right bb

goodboyr

by goodboyr

In my opinion, the very best is the Enduro XD-15 Angular contact ceramic for PF30 (BB30) cranks. Aluminum cups, top notch bearings (hold the ceramic vs. steel arguments please). The angular contact bearings mean that they can take a much greater side loading.

Geoff

by Geoff

I am running a Rotor 3D SRM and it has been really good so far. Unfortunately, the BB seems to be working loose now and I will probably have to re-install it over the winter. The Rotor crankarms are really stiff. I like the preload adjustment, too.

sedluk

by sedluk

I tried the Enduro XD-15 Angular contact bearings, they are wider than regular BB30 bearings and did not work for me using a THM bottom bracket. I suspect that they would work with a SRAM BB because that would normally require a 11mm spacer and you could just use a smaller spacer. You still would need to be careful to get a proper chain line.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com