Another Bike fit thread, how does my fit look? Help.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

plag

by plag

Hey Guys I would like some input on your opinions on how my bike fits.
I bought a used frame off the bay. its an older frame so I didn't spend a lot on it, I pulled the components off my old bike that fits fine. I just wanted to try a different smaller bike. My old frame is a 57 Orbea and this one is a 55 Bianchi supposedly.

My height is 5"11 with a 34" inseam. not sure on my arm length.

The seatpost is sticking out about 23cm (9") and the saddle to bar drop is 13cm (5") and that's because the stem is flipped up.

It rides nice and is quick and nimble. Im just not liking the aesthetics long seatpost really.

oh and it comes in at about 17lbs with cages and XTR pedals.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

For me you are too upright.

Move saddle back and flip stem and repeat

unless you don't want to

on second thoughts perhaps a much longer stem while you are at it
Last edited by bikerjulio on Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

plag

by plag

bikerjulio wrote:For me you are too upright.

Move saddle back and flip stem and repeat

unless you don't want to

Maybe a longer stem also? This ones a 110mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

There is only ONE saddle height that is correct for you, and It looks OK to me . But your call.

It's the horizontal that needs more dimension
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Difficult to say as we can't see your foot in the last photo but your leg looks very straight, your seat may be slightly too high, your body will tell you about that though if present - with pain.

Agree with everyone else re: cockpit. Way too high. Almost certainly need a longer stem, and probably a -12/13.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

plag

by plag

NiFTY wrote:Difficult to say as we can't see your foot in the last photo but your leg looks very straight, your seat may be slightly too high, your body will tell you about that though if present - with pain.

Agree with everyone else re: cockpit. Way too high. Almost certainly need a longer stem, and probably a -12/13.

What's a 12/13?

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Based on pictures, I recommend the following adjustments.
Tilt down your saddle. Ideally, you'd want it 2-3 degrees down.
Lower your saddle. In your case start with 1cm.
Move your cleats far back.
Flip your stem and check your reach.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Now that you've satisfied your curiosity and tried a smaller frame, feel good about knowing a larger frame is the way to go. You didn't pay much for it. No big loss. Go back to a frame that is at least in the ballpark of what you need.
The smaller frame "feels" quick and nimble simply because it's too small.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

basilic

by basilic

rule no 1: don't get fit on your bike over the internet, figure it out for yourself.
Start by getting the saddle in the right position. You should be balanced. When you ride on a slight uphill, pushing on the pedals, hands on the tops, you should be able to take the hands off the bar and not fall forward. If you fall forward, slide the saddle back, and down a bit, repeat. Then only you figure out the cockpit.
To me it looks like you have too much weight on the arms. Maybe you tilted the saddle up to prevent you from sliding? are your shoulders sore after a long ride? If so move the saddle back and down. And your leg looks overextended, so saddle down.

plag

by plag

Yes my shoulders hurt a little. I will try the adjustments

Great feedback everybody.

Great forum.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: please don't quote the above. thanks.

highdraw

by highdraw

OP,
As mentioned, lower saddle, move cleats back on your shoes. As to saddle tilt, it isn't bad actually...maybe 1 degree too tilted up. Its the rear of the saddle that should be level, not the overall saddle. Putting a level over the entire saddle, it should be nose up slightly.

Your horizontal dimension is too short and you are running too much drop for an average rider who isn't lean/and or flexible.
Summary? You tried a smaller frame and found out it isn't the right size for you.

Keep in mind that Lance Armstrong is an inch shorter than you and rode a 58cm throughout his career. You did the right thing by trying a different frame. Each of us need to try many frames and stem combinations before determining what works best.
Experiment some more and then some more after that. I suggest you move up a frame size if you not racing in particular.

JackDaniels

by JackDaniels

Your frame is too small.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I much perfer saddles level myself but 1 degree up or down will not make a huge difference. Try 0.883*inseam as a starting point for saddle height. This must be your proper inseam not your trouser measuement!

If you can't change the framw due to costs then get longer stem maybe a 130mm. If you can change the frame always look at the effective top tube length this varies alot from brand to brand and is very important. If the frame has a horizontal top tube a 57/58cm with a 56/57cm top tube will probably wotk quite well. Most frames being compact now, mean you look mostly at the effective top tubes lengths as the ammount of top tube slop effects the seat tube length measurement.

I'm 6ft 1" and my ideal frame size is 59x59cm for a comparison, if the frame though has a shorter top tube as some of mine do the stem grows to compensate. seat tube angle is also an imporant factor but most bike of the size you need have a 73.5 degree angle so it's retty consistant.

plag

by plag

I'm gonna play around with it a little and try not to put a lot more money into and if doesn't work out I have my bigger frame ready to go.

rijndael

by rijndael

Here's a real basic introduction to bike fits, and angles:
http://bikedynamics.co.uk/guidelines.htm

Here's a lengthy video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxNznrlRXGU

You can measure the angles on your body, with some free software:
http://www.kinovea.org/

I'm always tweaking my fit, trying to find something that's just a little better. Sometimes I revert my changes, sometimes I don't. Either way, I find fit data and bike mechanical stuff just as interesting as riding.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com