SISL2 ...broken?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dammit

by Dammit

Interesting - I wonder if they have, as Fifarafa suggests, removed too much material with this generation of the crank?

mattyNor

by mattyNor

They're earned the nickname crack-and-fail in recent years for a reason.....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

latman

by latman

wow, that axle has thin walls !

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

The question is do they still carry the lifetime warranty that all cannondale parts used to have. If so the rep should swap them for you no problem if you are the original owner once they are inspected by the shop. Take them to the nearest Cannondale shop and show the manager or owner so they can contact the rep.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Thread resurrection...

Check this out.

Bought these SiSL2 cranks in February 2013. I weigh between 66-69kg depending on the time of year.

I have ridden these a LOT and hard, with sprints and loads of hard climbing and riding all over the place.

Noticed this crack on the non-drive side arm today. Also, running my finger down the yellow seam on the same side, it feels rough, like the inner and outer plate have shifted ever so slightly. Running my finger down the seam on the opposite side of the same crank and also on the drive side crank, all are perfectly smooth.

Will be taking this back to the shop to see what they say...

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

cucci25 wrote:Oh...god....it's terrible.....

I am both sickened by this, and also convinced that I caused the failure with my extreme power. My emotions are all over the place at the moment.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Update.

Decided to go for one last ride on the crank, as I thought that due to the crack being on the outside of the structure, it would not be an issue and was cosmetic. Started riding down the road. Why does my left foot feel like it is pushing into soft dough? Looked down and could see visible inward twisting flex on the cranks, even when pedalling normally. Much to my annoyance, turned round and went home, not 300metres into the ride.

Took the crank down the shop I bought it from and showed them. They thanked me for not riding it and got on the phone to Cannondale immediately.

Much chatting by them to Cannondale in the back room, so I couldn't hear the whole conversation, but after about 5 minutes they came out and said Cannondale wanted me to send the left arm, and the axle back to them right away, and would give me a new one for free (of course). Apparently Cannondale US had seen this issue a couple of times, and had told the other Cannondale regional HQs to jump on any reports of this happening and replace the cranks AND axle, regardless of the axle condition. I am in Japan, and the guys at the HQ there said I was the first person to manage to do this in Japan, which makes me a champion. In a way.

Anyway, I took the crank and axle out, and sent it back to Cannondale through the dealer. It was all very very easy and the dealer even gave me a spare axle and SiSL1 crank arm to use until the new SiSL2 parts turn up. Cool.

Looking at the cranks, it seems that the inner and outer plates split apart at the weld which runs all the way round it. There is a finger joint on both sides of the ends of the crank arms which I assume is there to support against twisting, and stop the welds from twisting apart, and this is where the cracks in the material occured (you can see it in my original pictures).

Will be interesting to see what the new updated version of the cranks and axle look like. Will post pics when I get them.

Wonderman

by Wonderman

Does anyone know what the correct torq setting is for the pedal axel? Or do you just go by what the pedal says?

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I bought a second hand SISL2 crank with this same problem. Visible micro-fractures at both pedal spindle and crank both interfaces. The guy I bought it off had no idea (they were very small) and sorted out warranty via the US for me(I live in Australia). I have SISLs that have never done this. I think they overmachined these bad boys.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;