Lightning cranks on Specialized Venge

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JohanSten

by JohanSten

Hello.

I'm selling my Power2Max lightning cranks to a guy with a Specialized Venge. So, I wondered. Will this combination work perfectly? Do the guy need any adaptors, spacers, or anything else?

Thanks
- Johan

highdraw

by highdraw

Venge are all Spesh's narrow aka 61mm version of PF30. Lightening cranks are basically a wide spindle version of BB30 which makes them universally adaptable to the most number of BB's just like Rotor 3D+, Campy OverTorque and others.

So how to mount? No adapters needed for bearing diameter...BB and spindle OD are both 30mm. But the Venge BB width will need to be laterally spaced to accommodate the longer spindle length of the Lightning crank. You will likely need ~10-11mm generic 30mm ID spacers on each side of the crank. A very common practice. You can get BB30 spacers on line or at your local bike shop if they don't come with the crankset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JohanSten

by JohanSten

highdraw wrote:Venge are all Spesh's narrow aka 61mm version of PF30. Lightening cranks are basically a wide spindle version of BB30 which makes them universally adaptable to the most number of BB's just like Rotor 3D+, Campy OverTorque and others.

So how to mount? No adapters needed for bearing diameter...BB and spindle OD are both 30mm. But the Venge BB width will need to be laterally spaced to accommodate the longer spindle length of the Lightning crank. You will likely need ~10-11mm generic 30mm ID spacers on each side of the crank. A very common practice. You can get BB30 spacers on line or at your local bike shop if they don't come with the crankset.

So these ones would work? 11,35 Rotor Spacers (for 3D+ witch is 30mm)

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... duct=59563

Also, looks like Lightning sells some OSBB bottom brackets. I´ve contacted them now.

highdraw

by highdraw

Lightning should give you guidance on the proper spacing. It will be close to Rotor 3D+ spacers but not necessarily exactly. OP, BB30 spacers come in all different width including 1-2mm widths. Basically you find large spacers...say 10mm wide to take up most of the clearance on each side and then tune wave washer compression for preload with narrow 1-2mm spacers. Adjust chainline per groupset mfr. prescription as the crank spindle may need to be biased 1-2mm laterally in either direction for a particular chainline...or even if you have a preference of running a given chainline.
The thing you want to express to Lightning is you have a bike with carbon OSBB and not alloy OSBB...former being Specialized nomenclature for their narrow version of PF30.
Btw, you don't need to spend the money for a Lightning BB unless you feel like it. The Spesh BB will work fine with the Lightning crank with proper lateral spacing. Spacers are cheap, common and even generic.