Weight Weenie Specialized S-Works Spider

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mythical

by mythical

Well done Qman on the excellent spider job. Your existing crankset certainly improved in looks and specs. :thumbup: :beerchug:

Perhaps there are weenies on here who might want to own one too. :D
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Qman

by Qman

Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback.
People seem to like this, but I'm curious if there would be a market for something like this. Are there enough people out there who own an S-Works crank and would want to swap their spider?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Will work on the standard Specialized carbon 2 piece crank too ;)
Using Tapatalk

jooo

by jooo

swiftvelo wrote:Any chance you could make and aero model ? Something that works with praxis rings?

You know about this?

Qman

by Qman

A Lightning spider won't work on a Specialized crank because the chainline would be completely wrong.
An aero spider for Specialized would need to be dished the other way. Here's what it would look like:
You could make one that looks domed like the Lightning spider, but it would be at the expense of some weight. Such a spider would also have an indirect path for the stresses to go from the tabs to the crank interface, so it would require some careful design to ensure the stresses are low enough. However, it would look good because the crank arm would be partially shielded:

jooo

by jooo

ahh good point, I was thinking of people switching MTB spiders but they are reversible which helps with the chainline issue.

Ritterview

by Ritterview

That is sooooo nice. Something like that would be just the thing for the Lightning crank. On the tandem version the standard could be used for the right side sync pulley x 2, a triple version for the drive side.

If you talked to Tim Brummer at Lightning, you might find a customer for your designs.

rideintospace

by rideintospace

This is the coolest. I am thinking this would be a neat idea for Force 22 cranks, to rotate the spider orientation and use standard chainrings instead of the SRAM hidden bolt force 22 variety. I don't think there is any weight savings for using hidden bolt on Force 22, since it still uses a completely separate spider just like the S-works cranks do.

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

that is amazing.

anything particular about the aluminum stock that you machined it from?

would love to see more in-process photos of the machining! that really is cool.

r3awak3n

by r3awak3n

yes, more in-process photos. This is pretty amazing and looks awesome too, better than the original. Would love to have a CNC machine.

Qman

by Qman

jz4nyc: I just used regular 6061-T6. The stresses are quite low, and all aluminums have basically the same stiffness, so nothing special is required.

r3awak3n: I'll post a few more photos of machining the part. Check back soon!

Qman

by Qman

Some photos of machining the front side, in order of operation:

Furka

by Furka

wow !

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

those in-process photos are AWESOME.

thanks for posting. :thumbup:

rosuch

by rosuch