Steel weenie -- Genius/Nemo/Spirit

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Want to get me a nice youngtimer steel frame built from one of Columbus Genius/Nemo/Spirit. Probably Rossin or Scapin. What do you experts say? Thermachrome/Spirit is the newer alloy, but doesn't really seem to be much lighter than the Nivachrome tubes? Also I feel myself being drawn to 1" steerers lately (getting old?). What would you prefer and why? Fit is not an issue, seems like i can ride any frame of matching top tube length.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kman

by kman

Why the 1" steerer?
I have a 1" steerer on my custom steel track frame and 1" is perfectly adequate but it can be a real PITA trying to find a nice stem, unless you're happy to use a shim with a 1 1/8" stem - in which case you may as well just go with a 1 1/8 steerer from the start.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

shimmeD

by shimmeD

From your Ti Raw, I see you have a shortish head-tube so 1" shouldn't be a stiffness problem? (Hummm, I've no experience, so maybe this comment is worthless).

Anyway I like: 1" is aero. I like it better still: steel stem (can be weenie!) to match.

Are you sure Spirit is not more significantly weenier than the older Genius/Nemo? I should think so.
Less is more.

KB

by KB

I've used just about every steel tubeset by Columbus and Reynolds. I have two frames in Columbus Spirit and am impressed with it. Tig welded came out at 1,700g, fillet brazed slightly more. I doubt the older tubesets would be within 150g for the same frame. Size was approx. for a 58.

Unless you're going for some faux retro build, I fail to understand why anyone would want a 1 inch steerer.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

It's not going to be a build, I'm looking at existing Rossin and Scapin frames. The Genius and Nemo frames have 1" steerers because that was state of art, the Spirit one has 1 1/8 because it is newer. Just saying I don't mind a 1" steerer, and sometimes it even looks better when the other tubes are svelte.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Genius is definitely heavier than Spirit. Not sure about Nemo, which was/is really high end.

hjb1000

by hjb1000

I think 1" steerer on a modern steel frame is fine, so long as you accept you need to run a shim to use a modern ahead stem. Proportionally, 1" headtube can look better with thin steel tubes.
Columbus Spirit is the one to go with, unless of course you want to try stainless...

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have a genius 58cm frame that weighs 1700g. It has a 1" steerer and the frame is quite stiff but the oversize tubes help. If spirit is truely lighter then I need a new bike made from that!

User Name

by User Name

My Ultrafoco Cervelo Superprodigy is pretty good.

1670g, 58cm.

gravity

by gravity

I dont think weight should be your main concern if you wanna build a steel frame. It kinda defeat the purpose, IMHO.

Btw, I have a steel frame made by Rychtarski with Spirit tube through out (38mm downtube, 31.7 toptube, 28.6 seat tube, not sure the sizing for CS and SS), the weight comes out at 1606 gram with single colour paint.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Hello, can I pls remind everyone they're at Weight Weenies?

There's nothing wrong with wanting steel and then wanting the lightest steel (with your choice of compromises). It does not necessarily defeat the purpose of choosing steel, and still have weight as a high priority knowing full well you're expecting the same as you would get from carbon.
Less is more.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Great weight everyone, 1700g and below. The Spirit frame I'm looking at tips the scale at 1880g, size 57. That's why I'm asking for opinions here, doesn't look very weenie, for what is said one of the lightest tube sets out there.

gravity

by gravity

shimmeD wrote:Hello, can I pls remind everyone they're at Weight Weenies?

There's nothing wrong with wanting steel and then wanting the lightest steel (with your choice of compromises). It does not necessarily defeat the purpose of choosing steel, and still have weight as a high priority knowing full well you're expecting the same as you would get from carbon.

Telling anybody in here that weight should be the main concern on everything just because we are on WW is a cheap argument atmo.

User Name

by User Name

HillRPete wrote:Great weight everyone, 1700g and below. The Spirit frame I'm looking at tips the scale at 1880g, size 57. That's why I'm asking for opinions here, doesn't look very weenie, for what is said one of the lightest tube sets out there.

Wow, that's a brick for Spirit. My 1988 lugged Raleigh 531c is 1870g. 58cm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com