Specialized Allez Smart Weld and Di2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

upside

by upside

I am planning my winter build and torn between the S Works Tarmac SL4 and a 2014 Allez. The $$$ difference between the two bikes is significant, so I am considering buying the Allez and building that one with electronic. I understand that the frame is mechanical only and was wondering if I could just drill the necessary holes to route the wire for an internal Di2
Has anyone tried this one yet. I have looked at pics of the internal BB area and that doesn't appear open which only tells me and a complete internal wiring may not be possible. Just curious... hoping someone can answer this question.

highdraw

by highdraw

The Smartweld Allez isn't even in the same time zone as a Tarmac. No comparison. Ride quality alone is the big divider.

You don't need a Sworks Tarmac to be happy. Nobody could tell the difference between a Pro, Expert or Sworks in a blind test.
Just find yourself a nice 10r or 11r Tarmac SL4 and you will be good and also solve your Di2 internal routing issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I have drilled holes in the BB tube in order to pass wires during an EPS install. I had no issues. I drilled lots of carbon [which is different than aluminum and irresponsible too] and have not had issues either. You could inspect a Di2 version and see what Specialized did to route the wiring.

Keep searching but either way, one hole drilled with loose the warranty.

wingguy

by wingguy

What highdraw said - why is the choice between an Allez and an S-Works? Like skipping from a CAAD10 to an Evo Nano, or a Defy1 to a Propel Advanced SL.

prebsy

by prebsy

I don't know what kind of deals you are getting but msrp suggests a 2k price difference (3000 vs 975). If you think an aluminum bike is suitable for what you want to do I suggest going with a di2 ready frame. It sounds like you are in the specialized club but you can find a lot of "new-other" caad10 di2 frames that would give you aluminum and di2 and possibly warranty! I don't see the point of buying a new bike just to void the warranty.

upside

by upside

To answer this question.
What highdraw said - why is the choice between an Allez and an S-Works? Like skipping from a CAAD10 to an Evo Nano, or a Defy1 to a Propel Advanced SL.

I use to work for a shop that had Cannondales. When the Caad10 came out I rode one for a season and then the following year the Evo came to market. Between the two bikes there wasn't anything eye popping between the two except weight.
From what I have read, the new Allez Smartweld is very close to everything the Tarmac is. I have all the electronic a parts just waiting to be installed and if there wasn't a big difference between the two frame and could save myself a little $$$ and put that into another set of wheels

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

highdraw wrote:The Smartweld Allez isn't even in the same time zone as a Tarmac. No comparison. Ride quality alone is the big divider.

My thoughts on the S-works Allez and how it compared (for me) to the Tarmac.

viewtopic.php?p=1033343#p1033343

viewtopic.php?p=1001298#p1001298

tl;dr very little between them.

pcrispey

by pcrispey

Allez smart weld great bike !

I use it for training and racing if I compare it to my SL4 not al lot of difference only the $$$
I have installed a s works seatmast on it.
Only problem but this has notting to do with the Allez same issue on my SL4 is the creaking of the BB now waiting for some Praxis works BB. I have seen in a local Specialized shop there is a std Praxis works BB and cranck installed on the Allez.

rma

by rma

If I could give an advice, do not drill holes in the frame. Trust me on that...

upside

by upside

Could you give me one decent reason.. besides warranty not to. I plan on one small hole in the lower top tube, one hole lower seat tube and one on drive side chain stay. Plan on installing the seat post battery.. thinking this could be quite dramatic and finish up nice.
There was a guy on WW last season that did the same to his Caad10 and he had no issues.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Hard to believe there would be a problem in aluminum. Carbons been done with no issues.

highdraw

by highdraw

Agree. Sub $1K frame, if you are going to ride it to destruction and forget about resale, drill baby drill...don't see there being any structural downside for small holes for Di2.

hjb1000

by hjb1000

The S-Works Allez is pretty sexy I agree. Funny how aluminium is the new carbon all of a sudden.

tcurtbike
Best Freak bike poster

by tcurtbike

Has been done with CAAD10 and Allez frames with no (reported) issues:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=109456
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=124792
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=109014
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=122041
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=81805

If you don't want to void warranties/risk it, why don't you just get a Di2 CAAD10 frame/complete bike?

upside

by upside

Thanks for that... that is the same Allez I plan on tweeking.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com