sram red 22 crankset on bbright frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vtspot

by vtspot

Hi,
I am getting a bbright frame and looking for a new sram red 22 crankset.

I have been reading some information about the compability and looks like i have to choose the Gxp version and get a bbright to Gxp adapter, am i right?

My next question is, will there be any durable issue with the adapter?

Thanks. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

highdraw

by highdraw

There are a couple of versions of Bbright, if BB's weren't complicated enough. :)
The Cervelo S5 uses the PressFit30 (46mm diameter BB shell ID inside the frame) versus DirectFit (42mm diameter inside the frame).

Both versions are 79mm wide.

Sram's BB30 cranks won't fit...spindle too short.
So yes, you need a GXP crank and type of BB will depend on which model of Cervelo and BBright you have.

http://bbright.net/supportingbrands.aspx

GXP cranks are mounted successfully to Cervelo Bbright bikes each day, so you won't have a problem.

Type of BB will depend on which model Cervelo you have and therefore which Bbright...link shows the difference.

HTH
PS: no durability issue with the adapter

BB dimensional comparison below:

1415chris

by 1415chris

GXP means adapters, you don't utylise 30mm spindle' s proprietary and it is significantly heavier than BB30 version.
There is a reason why a big number of Cervelo owners are on Rotor crank.
But if the only option for you is Red crank, GXP is the way to go for.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

As your looking at a new PM (in other thread), why not kill 2 birds with 1 stone?

Rotor based PM, shouldnt have problems with BBright compatibility.
Does away with Powertap unreliability and a heavy wheel...
Official cafe stop tester

goodboyr

by goodboyr

For that matter Quarq SRAM bb30 powermeters fit fine including Quarq Red 22. They have the longer shaft. And SRAM force 22 bb30 cranks work too.

highdraw

by highdraw

OP,
If you want to avoid the GXP adapted option, and opt for a power meter, below is an informative link. BB30 Red 22 cranks does have a longer spindle to accommodate BBright and would be the cleanest installation:

http://forums.cervelo.com/forums/p/11775/81695.aspx

An important footnote is using the right kind of Loctite based upon your BB selection:
http://bbright.net/BBrightTM-Press-Fit-Instructions.pdf

goodboyr

by goodboyr

So...........just to completely summarize.......the only SRAM bb30 crank that does not work is the plain (non pm) red 22 one.
The following work just fine:

Force 22 BB30,

Quarq BB30 Elsa, Riken and Red 22 models.

highdraw

by highdraw

I think it was 2012 when Sram increased the length of its BB30 to work with BBright. Prior BB30 Sram cranks would not fit to BBright.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

We are a bit OT here, but there was always an SRAM bb30 choice that worked. They made the S950 and S975 generic cranks.

gospastic

by gospastic

The RED 22 cranks come with that NDS preload adjuster, and it is removable. I wonder if it's wide enough to reveal enough spindle when you take it off, and then just use a wavy washer for preload?

rmerka

by rmerka

IMO, the best BB to use with a GXP crank on a BBRight frame is this one from Rotor (choose the GXP version in the options).

http://www.cart32hostingred.com/cgi-bin/cart32.exe/ROTORCOMPONENTSLLC-store?catid=256998500&prodid=258530650

I outlined the measurements here:

http://forums.cervelo.com/forums/p/11967/82505.aspx#82505

Basically it's the same BB as the 4624 with the GXP specific bearing on the NDS. No adapters necessary.

Added: Also the only direct fit BBRight is the Cervelo R5Ca. If you don't have one of those then it's pressfit.

vtspot

by vtspot

Thanks guy, there is a lot of information. Yeah, I am actually looking for 2nd power meter and lean toward on Powertap due to the price. Yeah, u guys are right, after total up the money on getting sram red 22 (non power meter) + powertap, it is actually more than a crank based power meter. I will reconsider in getting crank based power meter.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

gospastic wrote:The RED 22 cranks come with that NDS preload adjuster, and it is removable. I wonder if it's wide enough to reveal enough spindle when you take it off, and then just use a wavy washer for preload?

The method of putting an SRAM bb30 crank on a bbright frame assumes removal of that preload adjuster for the longer spindles. So, with the shorter spindle on the non pm red, it will be too short.

gospastic

by gospastic

I've never actually measured the width of that preload spacer. Apparently it's only 5mm according to this thread on slowtwitch:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gfo ... st=3992861

Oh well.

sawyer

by sawyer

vtspot wrote:Thanks guy, there is a lot of information. Yeah, I am actually looking for 2nd power meter and lean toward on Powertap due to the price. Yeah, u guys are right, after total up the money on getting sram red 22 (non power meter) + powertap, it is actually more than a crank based power meter. I will reconsider in getting crank based power meter.

vtspot - I've had a G3 for about 18 months built into some carbon tubs and it's been fine. Probably done 6000-7000km on it in that time. Replaced battery a couple of times but otherwise no problems - and no bearing issues. Despite what some people say on WW the hub spins pretty well IME. It also makes for a stiff rear wheel.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com