11 speed non-Campag chains for Campagnolo 11?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

So if, in this case, Praxis rings are being used and something goes amiss with the rear derailleur then there's no ability to claim for warranty on a (hypothetically) fault RD?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spookyload

by spookyload

graeme_f_k wrote:We do see occasional problems with the link edges of other chains (and indeed "missing link" type chain links catching the edge of the bumper plate that we use inside the front derailleur - in time this can rip it out of the derailleur - Campag link edges are all very bevelled by comparison to most others and being made to work correctly with this part, don't do the same.

Front shift will be degraded with the Praxis rings in any case, but the rear shift ramps and cut-outs are also optimised for Campagnolo chain.

Your warranty is gone already if you are using the Praxis rings but use of a non-Campagnolo chain will also remove any warranty for function. Warranty for materials / workmanship is also then (in most juristictions in Europe, anyway, don't know about the US, not our market) cut back to two years.

HTH
Graeme
Velotech Cycling Ltd, Campagnolo Main UK SC

If Campy made 130mm bcd chainrings to use on my LOOK 695 Zed cranks, I would gladly do it. Unfortunately Campy is dead set on being proprietary and uses 135mm bcd, so Campy rings are not an option. Praxis makes rings specifically for the Zed crank, so that is what I am using. As for the warranty, I am not worried about replacing a rear mech that could fail due to a chain. Chances seem pretty small. In almost 30 years of riding campy and shimano, I have never had a rear derailleur fail that I would even try to warranty. The only failure I have had is from picking up a stick and destroying it, which I would never present to the manufacturer.

Good info on the front derailleur though. I am more concerned with performance/compatibility of the chain, not warranty of components.

olebole

by olebole

You may also have to wear campagnolo clothing with your drivetrain to ensure maximum income to the italians. Anything else will most likely result in serious injury and/or death...

/Record derailleur, absolute black chainring, 105 chain, kmc missing link, ultegra cassette and no worries :)

boysa

by boysa

graeme_f_k wrote:Front shift will be degraded with the Praxis rings in any case, but the rear shift ramps and cut-outs are also optimised for Campagnolo chain.

I respectfully disagree. I'm using Praxis rings in order to use a Quarq Elsa, and my front shifting is as good... If not better... Than with the original SR setup.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

steve147505

by steve147505

King PF BB, Force cranks, praxis rings, KMC chain, chorus cassette, SR front and rr derailleurs....works a treat.

Steve

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

The Park Tool CT-11 isn't expensive. You should really just pick one up. Any good quality chain tol will press the old pin out and put a new one in.

Record chains are great.

I also fail to see how the brand of chainring used could possibly effect warranty on a RD. That's laughable. Maybe if you were trying to warranty a RD pulley, they could argue the other rings wore the chain funny, which wore the pulley. Luckily Campy stuff rarely needs a warranty replacement, so it's likely moot. But, it is illegal in most places to make blanket statements (as a company policy that is) that replacing a part with non-original voids warranty on something else. They MFG has to show the non standard part actually caused the other part to fail.

So the take home is, if you have a RD issue, just say you have a full Record group :)

boysa

by boysa

Haha! I took a photo when the gruppo was complete, so I have it on file should anything go wrong and I need to file a claim. Since then, however, there have been lots of changes.

I'm a firm believer in routine maintenance, and the Missing Link enables me to rotate easily between two chains. First of every month they get swapped. I've been doing this for the first time this year, and I'm monitoring how it affects wear on cassettes and rings. So far, I think it's been a success.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

record 11 chains are the best. stay away from shimano 11 as they do not work well with campy 11 drivetrain. also had success with kmc x-11 as well, but not as robust as campy record 11.

racer1

by racer1

spookyload wrote:
Calnago wrote:Looks like you're in Tuscon, AZ. Isn't that where Fairwheel bikes is? Surely they can fit a Campy chain if you want one? Not to say others won't work, but I'd stick with Campy if you can.

Just moved to Albuquerque actually. I am headed back down for the Tour de Tucson and might have a record chain put on then.

I know the Trek Superstore has one. I used to work there and used it on a couple of Campagnolo 11 speed bikes that would come in.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

In the Tour magazine test the Campag Chorus chain was a bit more durable than the Record.
It's a little bit cheaper to buy but is not so WW.

spookyload

by spookyload

racer1 wrote:
spookyload wrote:
Calnago wrote:Looks like you're in Tuscon, AZ. Isn't that where Fairwheel bikes is? Surely they can fit a Campy chain if you want one? Not to say others won't work, but I'd stick with Campy if you can.

Just moved to Albuquerque actually. I am headed back down for the Tour de Tucson and might have a record chain put on then.

I know the Trek Superstore has one. I used to work there and used it on a couple of Campagnolo 11 speed bikes that would come in.

Thanks for the tip! I don't go in there much, but will definitely ask. I just assumed since they have zero Campy components on their bikes it would be a no go.

mattyNor

by mattyNor

I always crack a grin when the time comes to use the campy chain tool, such a beautiful tool. But I totally agree it's outrageously overpriced. Best alternative for you would be a campy chain with a missing link. It may be the weakest link in the chain but I've never seen one fail.....

Miller

by Miller

Briscoelab wrote:Any good quality chain tool will press the old pin out and put a new one in.

This is true, I have just bought a Park Tool CT3.2 for that exact purpose. Read the Campag chain instructions carefully and it's not difficult to press the pin in. As for peening, much as I love the idea of the Campag 11v chain tool I'm not going to drop £150+ on it for something I use about once a year.

My solution for peening is to hit the rivet on the external side with a 2.5mm centre punch, supporting the chain on the internal side on some sort of anvil, in my case a small steel mallet. This spreads the pin enough to keep it in place, which I understand is the purpose of the peening. This has been a reliable method over several chains in the past 4 years. Sometimes I recycle part used chains onto other bikes and for this I've been in the habit of using 10v quicklinks, KMC or whoever. This has also been completely reliable in my experience. Not of course that I'm recommending this approach to anyone else, wouldn't dream of it.

Campag chains give the best shifting in a Campag drivetrain and are long-lasting and trouble-free, I don't think it's worth using other chains and I am speaking from experience.

bemho

by bemho

I use a KMC gold 11 spd specific chain on an Athena 11 set up and it is the most quiet drivetrain I've ever had. At least for now. 10 spd truvative cranks too.

fcabot

by fcabot

+1 for the Record chain + KMC link

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com