11 speed non-Campag chains for Campagnolo 11?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spookyload

by spookyload

I know this has been asked a billion times likely, but I looked through four pages of search and didn't find an answer. Putting Record 11 on my Look 695. I will be using the Praxis rings. I decided that since I can't find a shop locally that can cut a Campy 11 chain and peen the pin, I would go with something different. I am leaning towards the KMC X11SL, but can get Ultegra 6800 and Dura-Ace chains locally all day long without having to mail order and wait.

What are you guys using with Campy 11 besides their own chain?

Admin: to help future searches, having a more specific thread title helps :wink:

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

any 11 speed chain will work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Looks like you're in Tuscon, AZ. Isn't that where Fairwheel bikes is? Surely they can fit a Campy chain if you want one? Not to say others won't work, but I'd stick with Campy if you can.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

boysa

by boysa

+1. I think the Record chain is the unsung jewel of the gruppo.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I've been a Campy SR11 users for years now.
I ran KMC SL11 chains and have snapped (2) of them some how..
Ever since I went with the Campy Record chain which has been on sale forever, I couldn't be happier.
The Campy chain is smoother and quieter than the KMC chain. I'm running Extralite rings with a Chorus Cassette.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

baldy

by baldy

Certainly recommend the Campag Record chain above any other. Been using a KMC also, but much noisier and not as smooth. Just bite the bullet and buy the piece of art that the 11 speed chain tool is. A few of my clubmates borrow mine as you don't need it that often, but to me it as worth it.

spookyload

by spookyload

Calnago wrote:Looks like you're in Tuscon, AZ. Isn't that where Fairwheel bikes is? Surely they can fit a Campy chain if you want one? Not to say others won't work, but I'd stick with Campy if you can.

Just moved to Albuquerque actually. I am headed back down for the Tour de Tucson and might have a record chain put on then.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Might not be Campag approved, you could use a kmc link. I'm using ShimaNo chain with kmc link, Mia coupa campag gods
Less is more.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The KMC links work fine. I do prefer Campagnolo chains. My last record chain did 2000 miles before reaching it wear limit. Never had that from a chain before.

zulu695

by zulu695

I have exactly the same setup , look 695' with praxis chain rings and campagnolo. i am using a KMC 11 DLC without any issues, not going back to campy chains, just for the quick connect.

fogman

by fogman

I use a Campagnolo Record 11 chain with the KMC missing link.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

boysa

by boysa

I should add I've been using KMC missing links for years with no issues. I also still use a Park 10s chain tool. It works just fine for breaking the chain at the desired length, then missing link gets installed. No reason to cough up the ungodly sum Campy wants for their tool. It might be good... But not that good!
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

fishyskawa

by fishyskawa

Campy chains are the most robust on the market. Every link is stressed under 10,000 pounds of load and then checked for freedom of movement! There is a reason they use a peened rivot, which becomes the strongest part of the chain, as opposed to a quick link which becomes the weakest. You could always consider the Park Tool CT-11 peening tool if you don't want to drop the cash on the Campagnolo tool.

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

Pony up for the 11sp tool. Aftermarket one or Campags one.

Their chains are certainly worth using. Shimano loving friends even try to secretly run Chorus chains on their Shimano 11sp bikes :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

We do see occasional problems with the link edges of other chains (and indeed "missing link" type chain links catching the edge of the bumper plate that we use inside the front derailleur - in time this can rip it out of the derailleur - Campag link edges are all very bevelled by comparison to most others and being made to work correctly with this part, don't do the same.

Front shift will be degraded with the Praxis rings in any case, but the rear shift ramps and cut-outs are also optimised for Campagnolo chain.

Your warranty is gone already if you are using the Praxis rings but use of a non-Campagnolo chain will also remove any warranty for function. Warranty for materials / workmanship is also then (in most juristictions in Europe, anyway, don't know about the US, not our market) cut back to two years.

HTH
Graeme
Velotech Cycling Ltd, Campagnolo Main UK SC
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!