Anybody using Campagnolo red carbon pads on Zipp rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zulu695

by zulu695

I am shopping around for new set of pads for my zipp 303, I am just wondering if there is anything against using Campy red carbon pads with the Firecrest?

i am currently using the swisstop black prince, they are ok, hesitating between the zipp tangente and the campy.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zulu695

by zulu695

Ok saw the other thread on non campy wheels,

I was hoping to get feedback in case the pads retained too much heat with zipp rims.

davidalone

by davidalone

Zipp explicitly says they dont recommend it on their website, apparently because they are abit 'aggressive' and get abit warm. The engineer in me reads that as: " it works, but its pushing the limits of safety factor that we're comfortable with ". Take that for what you will.

russianbear

by russianbear

I can't find the pictures now, but I could've sworn that during a Tech of TdF, cyclingnews had pictures of the red pads stuffed into SRAM brakes (by extension I assume zipp wheels were on there too).

zulu695

by zulu695

davidalone wrote:Zipp explicitly says they dont recommend it on their website, apparently because they are abit 'aggressive' and get abit warm. The engineer in me reads that as: " it works, but its pushing the limits of safety factor that we're comfortable with ". Take that for what you will.

Yes I saw that, but as far as I know they say that for rims with alluminium braking surface, or I am reading it wrong. There is nothing on campy pads in the carbon section, it is not in the recommended list either. But they seem to work really good with a lot of carbon rims.

Anyway thanks for your help guys, i will think about it for now.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

I would always go with the manufacturer's recommendation.

Before making a recommendation, manufacturers will have tested widely and will have issues around safety as well as very, very wide experience firmly in mind, so whilst they might appear to be very conservative, there will be a reason for this.

As an example, we recently had a case where a user taped a tyre (rather than using the recommended carbon-specific tubular cement) to a tubular rim - rim heating (using the wrong pads) caused no degradation to the braking surface, but did cause enough heating to the rim to cause the adhesive on the tape to partially "let go". The tyre stayed on but the valve being pulled hard sideways by subsequent accelerations eventually damaged the rim. There is some possibility that if only one of these two errors had been committed, the rim would have been OK, but two mistakes together were more than the designed-in tolerances of the material could withstand.

This is the type of thing this is tested for - it's not a likely occurrence but it *could* happen.

I can't imagine that Zipp's testing procedures would not, like Campagnolo's, encompass these types of possibilities, hence their recommendations for brake blocks.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

zulu695

by zulu695

Thanks Graeme

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tricky1

by Tricky1

Just wanted to toss in my two cents. I have a similar wheel/brake set up, I tried the SS black prince, Campy's gray pads, and a couple of others. I ended up using Zipp's Tangente corks almost exclusively for the improved wear rate over the others. I burned through every other set at an alarming rate (except for the corks), shavings were everywhere after one ride. At this point I only use my Zipp's on the TT bike as I brake far less frequently. I'm hoping some pads come along that brake better AND wear better, but at $40.00/set, my corks will have to suffice.