Tuned Saddles?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ZachUA

by ZachUA

Wondering if someone has examples of tuned saddle? removed cover, padding, etc? Specifically a specialized toupe or a kit carbonio, but really interested in seeing any if you have tried it!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wojchiech

by wojchiech

I have stripped a Selle Italia SLR TT when the lorica ('pleather') cover wore through and started coming undone. There is a layer of dense foam padding in between the shell and the cover. I did strip it all down to the bare shell and it weighed ~112g. I tried riding it bare but found it uncomfortable for rides over 100km. Putting the foam padding and new cover it ballooned back up to 140g, but made it comfortable enough again for all-day riding.

I also have a SLR Carbonio for my new bike and that weighs 124g with stock padding and cover. I'd imagine you could get those below 100g stripped bare if you don't find uncovered saddles uncomfortable.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Go to the thread show me your tuning.
Less is more.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

^^^What he said

Marin

by Marin

I stripped an SLR, cut a hole and partly re-covered it with closed-cell cellular rubber and leather (Tune-style). It's now my most comfy saddle - I use it for my daily commute wearing normal pants.

I'll probably do the same on the SLR carbonio on my racer.

ZachUA

by ZachUA

Thanks guys. That's a great thread!

Here's another I found (in case anyone finds this thread later): viewtopic.php?f=3&t=111768

previously I was searching for "tuned saddle," and, of course, all results were of tune speedneedles. :) When I researched for "stripped saddle" I found the above link.

harmonix1234

by harmonix1234

Got a stripped prologo and its awesome. To my surprise the shell is sculpted so much more than when padded and even has sit bone dips. Looks awesome, light and comfy, and looks real low with super low stack height. Comes out looking like a refined romin or toupe. Will post pics later.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Starter

by Starter

Back in the day I took this...

and got this out of it. Removed the bumper bits, stripped the padding, sanded the shell and had it painted at an auto body shop.

Very pretty, but not the most comfortable thing for any ride over twenty or so miles. Or under twenty miles for that matter. Or any distance, really. I ended up selling it. In my opinion, saddles are one area where weight should be a concern, but perhaps not the concern. Tires are another area like that. You can't enjoy your bike if you're not comfortable or are fixing a flat every hour.
Oof.