Baum Ristretto vs Pegoretti Marcello

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kupepe

by Kupepe

Hello,

I will build a modern steel race bike ... and go against the carbon sea.

The Baum is 50% more expensive than the Pegoretti ?

Any thoughts on this ? Would you justify the price increase?

Thanx

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

2 brands that tend to be deeply divisive on here, so be prepared for some fairly opposing view points.
Hopefully some of the venom has gone since the last time, and will allow you to form your own ideas.

For me, they're both an expensive paintjob; i'm sure there are plenty of "artisans" doing things just as well in steel for less price and fanfare.
Official cafe stop tester

nickf

by nickf

I vote for a peg. I had the chance to have lunch with Dario at NAHBS. What a character and fabricator. For me a Marcelo w/Ciavetè.

DJT21

by DJT21

Pegoretti all the way. Built by a true master who's built frames for raicng legends of days gone by. Who knows how much longer he'll be building for?

If you can't stand the wait for your frame, perhaps get one of these: http://www.condorcycles.com/Frame/10650 ... e.tpl.html

CrossRob

by CrossRob

If you're genuinely going to race it, I'd second DJT21's advice.

The Condor is a beauty, super-fast, and (relatively speaking) affordable to replace if the worst happens.

LionelB

by LionelB

Get the Peg and race it, this is what the bike is designed to do.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Felicitations! Another steel fan.

I'm with English.

Pegoretti makes the romantic in me swoon, but I actually don't like the looks. Baum is OK but I won't pay that sort of money. So neither, I'd rather look at http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/10/a-cha ... ordinaire/, if I wasn't perfectly happy with my English. A lot also has to be said for going with a builder local to you.
Less is more.

davidalone

by davidalone

My brother in law is an ex conti racer, mech engineer, bike fitter (serotta trained) and has also been trained in framebuilding at serotta and bohemian. He runs his own small business doing bike fits and builds custom frames. He had a choice to be an agent for peg or baum but decided against baum. He didnt say they were bad, but his reasoning was that on visiting them that their qc should be alot better for the amount you're paying.

martyh

by martyh

If you're going steel and planning on racing, what about a http://wraithfabrication.com/collection ... the-hustle ?

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

I don't think that the Wraith framesets are actually on the road yet, odd to recommend a frame that you've not ridden martyh (nor has anyone else)?. They do look pretty and good value though...

Both the Peg and Baum will race just fine, both will (I assume) be custom and fit like a glove, both will have pretty long wait lists, both are higly covetable, you're clearly not worried about the price, which is fine, so I won't recommend a "better" cheaper option, just be aware that your lovely paintjob might take a beating!

In the end it's personal choice, Baum offer custom paint and might offer a 44mm headtube to give you a more modern look (not 100% sure), and as both will last you a lifetime the look of the bike will be important.
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

davidalone wrote:My brother in law is an ex conti racer, mech engineer, bike fitter (serotta trained) and has also been trained in framebuilding at serotta and bohemian. He runs his own small business doing bike fits and builds custom frames. He had a choice to be an agent for peg or baum but decided against baum. He didnt say they were bad, but his reasoning was that on visiting them that their qc should be alot better for the amount you're paying.

How long ago was he there?

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Admire both brands but can't see any particular reasons as to why Baum are just so damn expensive?

shimmeD

by shimmeD

My personal deduction/viewpoint is a living can be made out of $2,000/frame with anything above that being what the builder rightly deserves of his/her reputation.
Less is more.

jooo

by jooo

Wingnut wrote:Admire both brands but can't see any particular reasons as to why Baum are just so damn expensive?

Have you seen how expensive bikes are in Australia? Baum pricing isn't particularly crazy when compared with what everything else costs here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com