Baum Ristretto vs Pegoretti Marcello

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

For the frame builder's reputation, gorgeous paintwork and bragging rights, any amount can be justifiable. For sure nobody's able to tell you in qualitative terms how much one top end frame is better than another, and even if so, it probably wouldn't be worth the difference in cash.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

jooo, Godzone? You have to pay for the privilege!
Less is more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wilwil

by wilwil

You can have a Pegoretti any colour you like. You don't have to have one of his paint jobs.

martinko

by martinko

Those yellow valve caps...

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Love the paint jobs on those Pegoretti frames...

Kupepe

by Kupepe

So I can set how the colour can be like with a pego? I can design it and send it over?

breezerboy
Shop Owner

by breezerboy

Not really. Dario has a number of "stock" designs, e.g. catch the spider, manovella, somebody, etc. Some you can choose base colour, some are a bit more set. You can also choose single colour as above from a reasonably wide choice of colours. If you choose "ciavete" it is up to his mood on the day. You can give him ideas of what you like and don't like, but what you get is a one off piece of art that rides like a dream. Remember, the ride is what matters, the paint is vanity, but I just happen to love both when it comes to Pegoretti.

See http://www.dario-pegoretti.com/paintscheme/ for a better idea.

wilwil

by wilwil

You can specify any colour from the RAL colour book which is quite extensive. There was a person on another forum who sold his Pegoretti to buy a Baum he wasn't impressed with the Pegoretti but was mad about Baums. I suspect the detail and finish on a Baum is second to non but Ive never seen one in the flesh yet alone ridden one. Yellow dust caps came with the Conti tyres and were removed. The bike has been changed since this picture. It now has 3T bar and stem, Pegoretti Falz forks and Neutron Ultras. The Cinelli bar and stem were flexy and creaky. The forks in the picture are Trigon which are what Dario used before designing his own. Pegorettis seem to have a lot of head tube above the top tube which negates the use of spacers, Im sure if you asked him he'd make it shorter. The new frames now come with welded gear cable bosses not these horrible bolt on ones.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I see a few Baum bikes in pictures and real life and I've got to say that they really have impeccable taste in their paintwork - haven't seen an ugly Baum before. But either option should be able to create a dream build for you, good to ride on the road and nice to ogle over at home.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

My understanding is with the Baum's you can choose the colour but the format/style is set which sucks for the price of them...I'd rather a Firefly or the Peg...

Harmitc

by Harmitc

I've been looking at doing a steel build and having seen a number of Pegoretti frames, I've yet to see one with really neat tig welds. The paintwork is beautiful but the tig work is far from perfect on the examples I've seen. Disappointing as it was my number one choice.

breezerboy
Shop Owner

by breezerboy

Maybe not perfection, they are built by hand not robots, but seem pretty damn good to me.

LionelB

by LionelB

I would trust Dario for a solid strong weld.

Harmitc

by Harmitc

The pics above are far far better than some of the ones I've seen. If the welds I'd seen had been that good I wouldn't hesitate to order one. But they weren't! Strong for sure, but at this level your paying for detail not just strength.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com