Experience with Sram PF30 : BSA adapter installation ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

highdraw

by highdraw

Honesty stormer, you are somewhat blind...especially to criticize me who was trying to help. Some people can't be helped...largely what separates talented people from others than aren't.

You didn't need the Praxis BB. You could have made the Sram BB work...easily. The Sram BB O.D. just needed some slightly massaging with 600# wet paper to reduce interference press to an acceptable level. Take 5 minutes. You could easily tune the level of interference exactly how you would like it. This is common with carbon fiber because of the dynamic I explained...an unfavorable tolerance stack up. Lack of lead in or chamfer is deliberate btw. This will go over your head, but increased chamfer decreases the stability of the bushing interface to the BB shell. So its deliberate. But you wouldn't have wisdom to understand that. You could of added a fractional ramp or chamfer at some compromise to BB stability to facilitate lead in to your press. Acetals and nylons can be tweaked with sand paper. Its also common for all PF30 interfaces that are too tight. Some frame manufacturers deliberately manufacturer their BB shell ID on the small side because of the typical low modulus of PF30 bushings. With higher volumetric modulus in the case of the Sram BB that doesn't compress easily, it is more critical to have the correct level of very light press...almost line-to-line. In fact a good way to install that BB would be lightly sand it to create fractional press...an easy press...and then use the correct Loctite for an acetal to secure it. Loctite makes a specific formula for acetal plastics that is serviceable.

Anyway, you will have good luck with the Praxis BB. It is so easy in fact, even you can't screw it up. ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

you write "stormer" instead of STORMUR intentionally incorrect ?

If yes, it says all about you, if not - who's blind ?

EOT
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

goodboyr

by goodboyr

As usual, a good thread that has ended badly...........

highdraw

by highdraw

Actually stormer says more about you. :)
But back to your BB. I would have had it mounted and out on the road in 60 minutes.
Hopefully you have a back up bike while you wait for your Praxis. If not, while you wait, maybe we could talk about ice skating. :)

rmerka

by rmerka

That wouldn't be a very good install... Loctite would need more time to cure properly.

highdraw

by highdraw

rmerka wrote:That wouldn't be a very good install... Loctite would need more time to cure properly.

Good catch. :)
I would ride it for an hour, pull the crank and BB, Loctite it, let it cure over night and ride it tomorrow.
Meanwhile stormer waits and watches me ride his bike. ;)
PS: I would never install that BB when the Praxis BB exists in the industry. There is also C-bear PF/30 to BSA threaded sleeve which is rock solid if I had to run a Campy crank with Campy groupset...which I don't. There are a lot of great BB/PF30 cranks on the market that would be plug and play with his bike as well. Praxis + Campy UT is an outstanding combination however.
Last edited by highdraw on Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Not picking on this OP particularly since I see this more and more often.

Someone comes on the web with a half-assed description of their problem and then gets irate when people try to help.

Perhaps it's a generational thing (I'm old). Or a Finnish thing :D BTW isn't it already dark and covered in snow there?

OP never told us what frame he had, or what tool and technique he was using to try and install the adapter he had.

He also cannot use Google apparently as I found a Euro supplier of the Praxis adapter in about 3 seconds.

Which if had come on and asked about any time in the past 3 months, would have been told was the best solution to his situation.

Anyhow I wish him well, especially as he is a Campy user, as am I.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

highdraw

by highdraw

Thanks bj. You are right of course. I was trying to prod stormer toward a sense of civility but he wouldn't have it. :)
I actually learned this lesson a long time ago as it was taught to me by one of my mentors.
1. it takes some level of talent to see it in others.
2. no good turn goes unpunished.

Its quite ignorant to know little about a subject and yet have the audacity to criticize somebody who knows a lot more...especially when they are trying to help.
But that falls into category 1 doesn't it?

But, we're used to it and we like bikes and seems to come with the territory. I enjoy your posts and appreciate your knowledge.
Cheers

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Again, none of the 'professionals' here have had any experience with the product the OP has. All the answers should of started with, 'No, I have never installed that type of BB yet'. So any advice was not much help. Kind of like someone that is hungry is given water. That's not what he wants but that is what you keep giving him.

But as is the case with most PF30 and BB30 issues, Praxis comes to the rescue. It's just that good.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Let's all keep it civil guys. I deleted a post with some personal insults, no need to go there. Thanks.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

LarryDavidJr

by LarryDavidJr

Hi there,

Sorry for a bit of a necro-post, but this is about the first useful post on the subject from Google.

The manual for the adaptor is here: https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign.net ... dapter.pdf

I was going to attach it for good measure but you can't upload PDF's?

It's listed as GXP30 to PF30 adaptor, but I'm pretty sure it's the same one.

Once my eBay HTII crank arrives I'll be popping that in with a Tiagra BB and hopefully it's goodbye PF30 nightmares on my POS Boardman.

Cheers.

hambini

by hambini

I thought GXP was 24mm drive side and 21mm on the non drive side?
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

LarryDavidJr

by LarryDavidJr

Don't know, but the adaptor just has BSA threads. I also found it on sale somewhere where they stated that it was in fact just a BSA adaptor which you could put any BSA threaded (external) BB onto.

http://www.artscyclery.com/SRAM_Truvati ... BSAES.html