Campag ultra-torque cranks busted

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

russianbear

by russianbear

If you plan on getting another "old style" ultra torque crankset, the chain rings are worth savings. Alternatively, put them up in the on sale section/ebay.

Glad to hear you are ok!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Calnago wrote:
goodboyr wrote:No torque wrench could be either under or over torque.

Exactly... don't really care if it was under or over, it would just be my first question to the installer... Was a torque wrench used? And did you torque it to spec? If not, well...

I always torque that bolt to 50Nm, right in the middle of the spec range of 40-60Nm. Never had a problem.

At some point, Campy issued a Service bulletin of sorts that instructed to torque the bolt right to 60Nm, and not to the lower part of the printed range.

Harmitc

by Harmitc

The very latest Super Record cranks still have the spread on torque range acceptable. I did one today fresh out the box. If they demand 60Nm in a service bullet surely they would be putting updated stickers on the bolt head by now?

highdraw

by highdraw

60 N-m is a lot of torque for that rather thin gauge/small pitch center bolt. I have always torqued them to less than 50 N-m without issue and thought that was a lot of torque.
Not disputing that the spec may have been changed....change in bolt metallurgy spec may be at the root cause....isn't the center bolt for SR titanium?

Harmitc

by Harmitc

I agree with the comment above. I normally go to 45NM which is just above min torque. Never had a problem. SR is titanium.

kbbpll

by kbbpll

I set my forearm to "pretty darn tight", also never a problem. Where is the bolt head in that photo? Did the design change, did it shear off, or did they maybe torque it into the wrong side?

JungleRas

by JungleRas

SR Bolt is titanium and for some reason reverse threaded. Snapped one recently because of ignorance in tightening to torque spec. Didn't crash, luckily. Bolt head had snapped right off. A replacement titanium bolt, being left threaded and all, is very difficult to come by but eBay managed. Made in Italy and sold only in us, it seems.

Harmitc

by Harmitc

The issue with titanium is not its strength, it's that it galls quite easily. To over tighten and break off it must have been way over tight! If your doing your own work invest in a decent quality torque wrench. It saves time and trouble!