My exustar pedals died.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I've had them for a little over 3.5 years and they've been ridden over 32,200 km (20,000 miles). There's play between the body and the axle. Fortunately I had a new set I picked up 6 months ago waiting to be used, but I wonder what the lifespan for a lightweight (less than 200g for the pair - pedals only) should be. These are the 200-ti pedals that come in at 176g for the pair. Since I picked up the old set for 150usd and the new ones for a bit less than 90, I guess it's not too bad, just wondering...
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Oswald

by Oswald

I had a pair of Exustar mtb pedals once... It only took 1 marathon in wet weather to completely kill them. So after one 4hr endurance training in dry conditions + one 4hr marathon in wet conditions they were ready for the trash bin. Worst pair of pedals I ever used. My xtr pedals, which I bought secondhand, are still going strong after 10 years of abuse. There is very little play on them, although the cage is worn out now.

Marin

by Marin

Why don't you adjust the bearings?

kman

by kman

Bearing failure shouldn't mean pedal "death". Replace the bearings.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

Oswald

by Oswald

The mtb pedals I had, only had 1 seal, that easily allowed water and mud to get in. The entire inside of the pedal was worn out after 1 ride in the mud. The dirt had 'grinded' the inside of the body away. New bearings probably wouldn't have fit anymore.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

1 bearing, 1 bushing, bearing is fine, it's replacing the bushing. Trying to source exustar parts is interesting to say the least.

@Oswald - mine have been through downpours, winter riding and everything in between.
Speedplay is the devil!

Marin

by Marin

These -> http://www.igus.de/iglidur have excellent reputation for MTB suspension, maybe they have something that fits your pedals.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Thanks- I have an email in to ExustarUSA as well. I tried their address for Taiwan but it got kicked back as invalid. Meantime I've got a new set to use and I was starting to toy with the idea of trying the time xpresso 15 pedals, but I'm in no rush.
Speedplay is the devil!

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I have used these pedals with great pleasure. I have found that the bearing last quit a while and the performance of the cleats is excellent. They don't break like the look keo models. My only issue is the weight. They claim 88 grams per pedal. Mine have always weighted 95-96 grams each.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I haven't had the weight issue-- the 1st pair came in at 176g, the new pair are 179g, 3g over, but I'm not going to complain about 3g.
Speedplay is the devil!

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I heard from the Exustar USA distributor. Exustar only sells the bearings and bushings as a set w/ the ti axles for 170 usd. Considering I bought my replacement from ebay for less than 90 usd shipped, I'm going to pass and see if I can find the bushings elsewhere, perhaps compare them to the ones on my cheaper exustar sets.

If not, those time xpresso 15's are starting to look more and more attractive!
Speedplay is the devil!

mattr

by mattr

They are almost definitely a stock bushing, you can probably get them for pennies. But you'll have to buy 100 at a time!
If the pedals are knackered it might be worth stripping down, taking some measurements and sourcing your own. Even if you have to buy multiple parts, it'll still only cost a few quid to fix the pedals.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com