Help me pick a new bike? Dogma f8?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

joseph42s

by joseph42s

I am considering getting a Dogma F8. The question is would I be better to get a lighter bike. I am 190lbs (loosing weight) but still a big guy. I live in a town with several big climbs 1hr+/-. In some respects I need all the help I can get.

Main reason for a new bike, tired of my 07 madone. Love the looks of these, and I test road one. The bike feels so solid, and great transfer of power. I rode an Emonda as well, It definitely felt lighter and rode really well for a light bike. Part of me just wants something different then the big 3 brands. Also I wonder about the old arguement of light versus planted feel.

TIA

Newbie.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

You will be very pleased. Light is not better. The pinarello is a superb bike. It is my favorite brand. Prince is the one I ride the most.

LionelB

by LionelB

Very happy with my F8, it handles extremely well.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I ride Colnagos primarily. Not by any means the lightest bikes around these days. But neither am I the lightest bike rider. There is a lot to be said for that "planted feel" you mention. I haven't owned a Pinarello myself, but have friends who do, and I've worked on them. Very solid. Fine bikes except for the Italian threads in the bottom bracket, but at least they're threaded versus some press fit crap. Little glitzy for me, and I've never been one for the curvy "onda" stays etc, but the F8 looks to be a little different style wise and I kinda like it. If the geometry works for you, then great. I'm a "bigger guy" too, and while superlight might be fine going up, it's the descending where I value something solid under me the most.
I actually have been looking very closely at and riding the Emonda SL this week. The geometry of the 60 is extremely close to my Colnago 61 Traditional. The front end feels quicker, but I think I prefer the stability of the Colnago, but it rode very nice overall. I wouldn't discount the Emonda because of quality or ride characteristics. Still, if you just don't feel like another Trek, I totally get that. But I like the Emonda much better than the Madone, and am very pleased to see they're done with the under the chainstays and behind the bottom bracket brakes. That was a dumb idea from the get go.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

I just rode a trek emonda sl r. Felt kind of woodden to me.

1234SO

by 1234SO

No need to quote above post

What does that mean? Is the a stiff good ride in your view or not?

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

only took it out for short ride. it did not feel lively like my pinarello. just ho hum. could be because it had stock wheels and an ultegra groupset on it. it was the only emonda slr in the entire area.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yeah... When I was on the Emonda I was mostly concerned with fit and overall handling. Really difficult to compare "feel" when one bike has super high end everything that you're so used to and the other pretty much the opposite in a different manufacturers group as well. But the front end was definitely "quicker" feeling than my Colnagos. And I know I could set it up for perfect fit for me and it would look aesthetically pleasing. Honestly though, it's a heck of a deal since the SL frame I'd be looking at is less than $1500, I'd just be hanging components I already have on it. And fenders. I'm really looking for a decent handling road frame that may accommodate 25mm tires and full fenders for winter. Tried the Domane as well but fit didn't work for me.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

tinozee

by tinozee

Go with the F8 and ride a lot until you are 160lbs. ;p

aaric

by aaric

If you love the looks of it, screw the rationalizing, and ride what you love ;)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

What @aaric just said, as long as it fits. Get the F8.

joseph42s

by joseph42s

Thanks guys. Going with my heart on this one. The other thing my heart says is "buy Campy EPS." But given that they seem to be still working out kinks, and finding reliable mechanics that can work on it is hard, I will probably go Shimano. I love the levers and the feel of the Campy, as well as the these levers shift and these levers brake concept.

OrPe

by OrPe

joseph42s wrote:... my heart says is "buy Campy EPS." .... I love the levers and the feel of the Campy, as well as the these levers shift and these levers brake concept.

why not campy mechanic groupset then?

these are superb, and the F8 deserves campy ;)

Oren

LionelB

by LionelB

Follow your heart. EPS suits the F8 well

joseph42s

by joseph42s

So no problems with your campy? Bike looks awesome by the way. Also I want to use a power meter, and going with Campy limits me to SRM. I currently use stages, but I was leaning towards the Pioneer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com