9070 di2 problems

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dane476

by dane476

Hi

Just upgraded from 6770 to 9070, swapped the front mech rear mech and shifters, plugged it all in but nothing is responding? Battery is charged no response from front junction box only the green light coming on for a few second just after plugging it in ? Any ideas?

Cheers

Driving me mental

rmerka

by rmerka

Did you re-use any of the older 6770 components? If you've upgraded the firmware, Shimano took out the "mix-and-match" capability in the latest firmware.

Also if you have all 11-speed parts then maybe consider upgrading the firmware at least on the battery as that has to be up to snuff for it all to work. This was a common issue when 9070 was first released and attempted to be used with older batteries/mounts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Yup. My guess is you've got old firmware in battery (internal), or battery mount (external). Assuming external ( which is what 6770 came with, you will need the pce interface to update the firmware.

dane476

by dane476

Dam more money to spend then

Cheers

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Wait, you can't mix and match parts now? That's too bad really.

My wife and I have 4 bikes with Ultegra Di2. Two with 10 speed and two with 11. Both of the 11 speed setups are using the "10 speed" shift/brake levers, as we already had them and saw no reason to upgrade those.

Good to know the latest firmware might break the setup? We have multishift enabled already, so no real reason to update further.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Briscoelab wrote:Wait, you can't mix and match parts now? That's too bad really.

My wife and I have 4 bikes with Ultegra Di2. Two with 10 speed and two with 11. Both of the 11 speed setups are using the "10 speed" shift/brake levers, as we already had them and saw no reason to upgrade those.

Good to know the latest firmware might break the setup? We have multishift enabled already, so no real reason to update further.

You're still fine, the Shift Units (ST / SW) are essentially "dumb" devices, they don't know and don't care how many gears you have. All switch units, according to Shimano are interchangeable (see E-tube compatibility chart on Shimano's site). Switch units include: ST-9070, ST-6870, ST-9071, ST-6871, ST-6770, ST-R785, ST-S705, SW-9071, SW-E6000, SW-R671, SW-R600, SW-S705, SW-R610 and SW-M9050 (you may choose a maximum of 6 units from this group). All switch units work with 11-speed or 10-speed.

The only "old" part that is not compatible in an upgrade is Junction A SM-EW67-A-E if you decide to upgrade to Battery SM-BTR2 (Internal), then you also need to upgrade Junction A to either SM-EW90-A (3 port), SM-EW90-B (5 port) or SC-M9050 (combo Display/Junction A), all because you will need a charging port. Please note that Junction A SM-EW90-A / B or SC-M9050 will work with either the external SM-BMR1 / SM-BMR2 or the internal SM-BTR2.

A second note, if you "upgrade" Junction A to any of the newer three units you can also directly connect them to the E-tube software and do any upgrades without the need for a SM-PCE1 since you will already have the SM-BCR2 to charge the internal battery. The only current limitation between the SM-PCE1 and SM-BCR2 is that the SM-PCE1 allows you to also do diagnostics on your connected E-tube components.

Also note that the SM-EWW01 Wireless unit also doesn't care if it is hooked into a 10-speed or 11-speed system.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Gotcha. Already knew of those issues. Thought something else had cropped up.

Actually one of the 10 speed setups has the internal battery, so we switched the new junction box on that bike anyhow. The 11 speed bikes have internal battery as well. Just one bike with the external setup, and 10 speed.