Ultegra 6770 di2 battery drain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

athletic91

by athletic91

Hi all i bought a used ultegra 10 sp group set used for a good price. initial setup went smooth. After one 40km ride, i checked it the next day and the battery was flat.

I then gave it a full recharge and by the second night the battery was 50% and by the third night it was flat again. Brought it to a shimano pro shop and they updated the latest. version 3 plus. Diagnostic tests showed that all parts were functioning normally. could anyone have any inputs?

I have changed the battery mount and it still does not solve the drain.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

upside

by upside

There has been a hand full of issues with the external batteries. I would look into a new one or try someone else out. Just food for thought.

rmerka

by rmerka

Some of the older 6770 junction boxes (the front one) had shorts which when replaced solved this issue. I don't think they showed up as faulty on the diagnostics with PCE device. I've also heard of a rear derailleur that had a short causing a battery drain but I believe that was detected with the diagnostics. Whichever component is causing it, it's likely a short in one of them.

Svetty

by Svetty

athletic91 wrote:Hi all i bought a used ultegra 10 sp group set used for a good price......

Perhaps the previous owner priced it to sell knowing that it was faulty?

athletic91

by athletic91

just did another test, battery full charge 8.4v, after 24hrs plug into the holder no riding at all 7.3v.

I was thinking worse case senerio treat it like a iphone, charge before every ride and take out the battery after every ride

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I would definitely not live with it. Something is wrong. And as previously posted, the history on this is that the two most likely culprits are the front JB, or a short at a connection.

Jere

by Jere

athletic91 wrote:just did another test, battery full charge 8.4v, after 24hrs plug into the holder no riding at all 7.3v.

I was thinking worse case senerio treat it like a iphone, charge before every ride and take out the battery after every ride

Hi

Check and be sure if you leave the rear derailure in the high or low gear the stops are set right because it will try to shift to the next and can not.
I ve seen this a few times now.
Jere B

athletic91

by athletic91

i left it in the small chainring and in the 5th gear in the rear. Waiting for my new internal junction box, hope it will solve.

BTW will pressing the front junction box for more than 5 seconds reset the safe mode? and will there be chance it will solve the battery drain .

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Yes it will reset safe mode ( you should be turning cranks while you are doing it), not sure why that would cause battery drain, but why not try.

bonedpwinkle

by bonedpwinkle

I had the same problem and it ruined 2 batteries before I figured it out. Mine was the front junction box. Changed it out and it solved the problem. Not sure why Shimano has not solved this and/or addressed it. Cost me 3 stinking battery costs and a new front junction purchase!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

athletic91

by athletic91

bonedpwinkle wrote:I had the same problem and it ruined 2 batteries before I figured it out. Mine was the front junction box. Changed it out and it solved the problem. Not sure why Shimano has not solved this and/or addressed it. Cost me 3 stinking battery costs and a new front junction purchase!

Was your front junction box one of the first batches?