2014 Scott Addict SL broken steerer tube

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tth86

by tth86

Had a rather unique but unpleasant experience with the 2014 Scott Addict SL a couple of months ago when the steerer tube had just decided to give way and crack while I was on the road. Needless to say, I had a crash.

Sent over to the LBS where I bought and assembled. Instead of getting a replacement frame(Top tube was cracked from the crash) and compensation, I got a rather peculiar but was-stated-in-the-manual where the steerer tube was apparently overtightened but NOT ONLY on the stem itself.

This was what I received through email

Dear Teh,

The steerer broke slowly by being squeezed by the stem over tighten.

Indicated in “S0015 Addict SL steerer tube (2).jpg” mark in red the pre-damaged area which failed slowly caused by squeezing of steerer by stem below wedge. It is mentioned in the manual not to put spacers with more than 5mm on top of the stem to avoid exactly this in combination with a possibly too high torque on the stem.

Spoke to some friends about it and they found this part amusing. The dealer assembled my bike with a 10mm spacer on top of it.

Disgruntled, yes, I expected a little bit more accountability from Scott after paying a premium for a top of the range frame but the likelihood of improper installation is not arguable.

Perhaps this topic might be useful as a warning and a cautionary post to the owners and the potential owners of the new Scott Addict SL

It is really sad because the Scott Addict SL was a good looking bike and it served me for almost 4000km.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Wait, the shop installed the stem/spacers/torque improperly and you are not going after them for this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tth86

by tth86

I did not mention anything about it because that is between myself and the shop. Don't think it is useful here

Oswald

by Oswald

If the shop didn't follow the installation instructions from Scott, then I would definately have a word with that shop.

em3

by em3

...this thread is pointless without pics. Post some pics of the damage and show us what u r talking about.EM3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Oh, damn! I feel for you on this subject. I don't know how this is solved and i don't know where you are located.
But if you are in EU, why not try contacting Berk Composites? Jure seems very skilled repairing frames and is also a damn nice person.
Perhaps it is no bad thing contacting him for some advice!?

Just a thought!
I hope you find means to fix this problem.
Be well.

//R
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.