Damaged Disc Wheel - Safe?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addicted

by addicted

Hi all, I have a disc wheel that was purchased lightly used. It was in like new condition, but ended up being damaged in transit. The axle of another wheel it was packed with punched through one side of the carbon. It is a Zipp Super 9.
It looks like I have the option of a refund, but the thing is, the seller gave me a really great deal, so if I knew the damage wasn't bad/unsafe, and wouldn't spread on its own, I'm tempted to keep it. What I'm not willing to do is pay postage to Zipp or bother paying hundreds to have a patch put on it, given that just getting a refund seems to be an option.
Anyway, not sure if the pics are clear enough, but there are two 'dings' next to each other. One is dented in far enough that it has cracked inward and you can just see the inside honeycomb of the disc.
Opinions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Doolop

by Doolop

If it's that good of deal- run it.

Absolutely nothing will become of that small of a dent in a disc wheel.

mattr

by mattr

If you were desperate, that could be patched in next to no time. And for almost nothing. You'd lose the dimples tho.

Only slight issue might be with water getting in. But then again, it's not like you'd use a disc day in day out, so it'll have plenty of time to dry out between uses. And i suspect the damage would have to be a lot worse before it'd cause an issue.

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

I did something similar to mine. In transit, the hub of another wheel punched straight into mine. Left a deeper hole than yours.

I had it patched up and although you can see a 2-inch square patch, the wheel is otherwise perfect. I was lucky and had someone I know do it for me for free. I believe they filled the hole with some sort of foam. I'd post pics for you, but away from home for 3 weeks.

Short answer is: it's perfectly safe. If you can find someone to fix it cheap, do it.
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

addicted

by addicted

Thanks all, will probably lean towards keeping them, even though I know resale will take a big hit.
I paid about 1650 US for the carbon clincher super 9, and a carbon clincher 808 firecrest, zipp skewers, all in pretty near new condition other than this shipping damage.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Shipping insured?
Using Tapatalk

addicted

by addicted

I believe so, this the option of a refund.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Perhaps get a repair quote and split it with them?
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Easiest thing to do would be to use something thing - like a needle, to big out the depressed bit, then use a little superglue to hold it in place. A bit of a 1200 grit sand and rattle can spray clear coat over the top and it'll be unnoticable. The wheel will be structurally sound.

Also that is a freaking deal that you got.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;